KCB 1-0 Western Stima: Late goal helps bankers switch off power men

KCB's winning goal came via second half substitute Peter Waweru, who hit the back of the net in the 88th minute after curling in from a corner
Kenyan Premier league pace setters KCB bounced back to winning ways after registering a hard fought 1-0 win over Western Stima at Nyayo Stadium on Saturday.

The lone goal was scored by Peter Waweru who came in as a second half substitute. Waweru hit the back of the net in the 88th minute, curling in straight from a corner.

The match started on a high tempo each team having a shot at goal within the first 120 seconds. Wesley Kemboi tested the KCB keeper Sammy Okinda first with a volley after receiving a pass from Daniel Onyango on the right. Okinda was on point to keep out Kemboi’s shot.

The bankers on the opposite end could have opened the scoring just moments later through Brian Osumba, but the midfielder wasted a glorious chance to put his team ahead.

Osumba had received a great ball from his goalie Sammy Okinda, but he shot on his left foot, Benrobert Mandela managing a save to keep his side in the game.

The game reduced to a midfield battle between the two teams with the two keepers largely remaining untested.

Sammy Okinda swung back into action in the 30th minute, this time round to keep out Francis Ochollah’s header from a Dennis Onkangi cross.

Just a minute before half time, Edwin Oduor who had been largely exciting in the opening minutes came close with a great shot but keeper Mandela denied him. In the second half, KCB were more industrial upfront and in the 50th minute, Kennedy Odhiambo had his free-kick well collected by Mandela.

Clifford Alwanga, who came in for Oduor, had a chance to put KCB ahead but he wasted a clear chance. He had chested down well a great cross from Osumba Brian, but his final shot betrayed his earler effort, Mandela having an easy catch.

Twelve minutes to time, substitute Raymond Murugi missed another clear chance, heading wide alone inside the box from a Benjamin Chaka cross. KCB were not deterred and they pressed on for the winner, eventually earning it in the 88th minute.