Situma (capt), Kisuya, Asike, Owino
Mulama, Njoroge, Echesa
Koko, Tarumbwa, Mugalia
Mbugua, Meja, Glay, Nyaberi
Luvutsi, Odhiambo (capt.), Miheso
Opondo, Kahata, Odera
Thika United and Sofapaka go into Wednesday’s Kenyan Premier League (KPL) Top 8 tournament on the back of impressive weekend performances in the league front.
Sofapaka finally broke their long win less streak with an impressive 4-2 win over Karuturi Sports something that coach David Ouma will be hoping his boys can repeat at Nyayo Stadium on Wednesday.
Batoto ba Mungu will be confronting Thika United for the second time this season. In the first match, the opener for the season, Sofapaka won 1–0 courtesy of Eugene Asike’s late goal.
Last season, Sofapaka stumbled in the first game of the Top 8 Cup tournament in a 0–1 defeat to SoNy Sugar while in the 2011 season, the team was eliminated on goal aggregate at the semi-final stage by Western Stima.
Ouma will also be glad to have John Barasa back in his scoring element after the veteran striker finally found the back of the net after going five matches without scoring a goal.
Barasa boasts of having won the golden boot three times - the only local player with such a record so far.
Thika also have an enviable track record going into this fixture. The team has won their last three matches both home and away making them dangerous.
Furthermore, coach John Kamau has vowed not to lose to Sofapaka again after his side fell 1-0 to their opponents in the opening match of the season.
“We are taking this tournament very seriously given what is at stake. So far we have lost only one game in the league and that was against Sofapaka."
“We don’t want to lose to them again and that is why our target remains at least a semi-final finish,” he told Goal.com.
Former Gor Mahia and KCB striker Ezekiel Odera, overnight hero Francis Kahata and veteran Dennis Odhiambo, will be the key men to lead Thika over their opponents.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This is the first time for Thika United to be taking part in the top eight tournament.
- Thika United have won their last three matches in the Kenyan Premier League.
- Francis Kahata, who scored Kenya’s opening goal in the March 23 World Cup qualifier against Nigeria's Super Eagles, turns out for Thika United.
- Sofapaka are making their third appearance in the top eight tournament and have never missed any of the previous editions.
- Sofapaka beat Thika United 1-0 in the league opener played on February 24 at City Stadium.
- Sofapaka finally broke their win less streak on Sunday with a 4-2 win over Karuturi Sports. The team had gone four matches without a win before then.
- The winner of the KPL top eight tournament pockets Sh1million prize money.