In a signed statement, Kenya FA President Sam Nyamweya bemoaned Stars exit from the competition and confirmed Nandwa as the assistant coach
In a statement to the press dated January 9 2012, Kenya FA President Sam Nyamweya revealed the disappointment after the national team consisting of local based players was bundled out of the ongoing African Nations Championships qualifier by Burundi at the preliminary stage.
Nyamweya refused to blame both players and the technical bench for the exit and instead, blamed the outcome of the match squarely on lack of strikers.
"From the game, it was evident one of the weakest departments was striking force. Our country lacks quality strikers right from club level. We are planning a consultative meeting with the KPL and Division one Coaches to see how we can strengthen this department so that we can build strikers for the national teams."
"Fkf is in the process of identifying a professional coach to take over the management of the national team technical bench. James Nandwa who has been handling the team on a caretaker basis remains the assistant coach as the federation is happy with the team's performance at the 2012 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup."
Sources reveal to Goal.com that the new coach could be appointed before the end of this month.
The statement further revealed that the federation will in the near future be reaching out to stakeholders, who include the government and the Kenyan Premier League to map the way forward for the team.
"Over the last one year that we have been in office, we set structures in place including a strong Kenyan Premier League which now has a title sponsor, Division One which will soon unveil it's sponsor, the woman league and youth program that is sponsored by Coca Cola. We are however, still handicapped by lack of sufficient funds."
“I would like to appeal top other corporate to join as development partners. Currently we have the EABL sponsoring Harambee Stars for three years for Sh110 million, but l can say this is like a drop in the ocean because 40 percent of this goes to marketing leaving us with only 60 percent to manage the affairs of the team which is very insufficient.”Following the disappointing result against Burundi, Kenya's next competitive assignment is on March, where they face Nigeria away in a must win 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifier.