FKF Cup: Gor 3-0 Sofapaka: Tanzanian keeper Mapunda the hero as Gor lift trophy

Defender Eugine Asike and Abdalla Juma saw their penalty-kicks saved by the flamboyant custodian before Humphrey Mieno hit the cross bar
Tanzania goalkeeper Ivo Mapunda was Gor Mahia's hero stopping two penalties as K'ogallo beat Sofapaka 3-0 to retain the FKF Cup at Nyayo Stadium on Tuesday.

Defender Eugine Asike and Abdalla Juma saw their penalty kicks saved by Mapunda before Humphrey Mieno's kick hit the cross bar. Gor Mahia converted their spots-kicks through Ivan Anguyo, Moses Odhiambo and Rama Salim.

The victory hands Gor Mahia a ticket to represent the country in the Confederation Cup next season. The match was forced to penalties after both teams were tied 0-0 in normal and regular time.

Gor Mahia started the match brightly threatening first with Kevin Omondi, who scored the opening goal against AFC Leopards in the semi-finals, hitting the wood work after Rama Salim had done the spadework from the right wing.

Sofapaka, who finished the KPL league in the fourth position, then retaliated back in the 10th minute as Joseph Nyagah's fierce strike from outside the danger zone went wide after receiving a pass from Heritier Luvualu.

Gor then forced their first corner a minute later but Rama's effort to exchange with Moses Odhiambo's could not yield a goal as defender Joseph Owino thwarted the move.

K'Ogalo continued to surge ahead for the opener and once again Odhiambo failed to hit the target after being put through by Ugandan import Dan Sserunkuma.

The match continued to exchange hands with Batoto Ba Mungu coming close to breaking the deadlock in the 19th minute after captain James Situma's volley was nabbed by the impressive Ivo Mapunda manning Gor's goal.

The second half started with Sofapaka's Anthony Kimani going into referee Sylvester Kirwa's book following a hard tackle on Sserunkuma.

Gor Mahia came close again to score in the 51st minute but Sofapaka goalkeeper Duncan Ochieng blocked an effort from Omondi.

Sofapaka coach Dan Ouma brought in Ellie Asieche for Heriter Luvualu as Gor Mahia's Logarusic resorted for a double change resting Sserunkuma and John Njuguna for Edwin Lavasta and Victor Ali Abondo respectively.

But Sofapaka continued to press for the opening goal as Humphrey Mieno's rasping free-kick from outside the box sailed through the cross bar in the 66th minute with keeper Mapunda well beaten.

The final outcome means Gor Mahia end the season with two trophies having won the KPL Top Eight title after beating Ulinzi Stars 2-0 in the final.