The Council of East and Central Africa Football Association (CECAFA) has revealed that “no one will beg Kenya” to participate in this year’s CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup set for Kampala, Uganda, from November 27 to December 11.
The news comes a day after South Sudan threw their weight behind Kenya’s bid to host the regional tournament. South Sudan President Ghabur Goc Alel on Tuesday asked members to support Kenya in hosting the tournament.
Kenya and CECAFA have been at loggerheads on the issue. Whereas Cecafa secretary general Nicholas Musonye insists that the congress held in Tanzania picked Uganda as the hosts, Football Kenya Federation (FKF) chairman Sam Nyamweya says it was Kenya instead, who were given the rights.
“We are surprised that the Cecafa secretary Musonye is envisaging plans to force Uganda to be the hosts. We as a new member of the regional body were informed initially that Kenya were the hosts after it was passed in the CECAFA Congress, and up to now we have not received any other official communication regarding the change,” said the South Sudan President.
However, Musonye has told The New Times of Rwanda, “If Kenya wants to pull out of the Challenge Cup, let them (go). They have no genuine reason to pull out and no one will beg them to stay.”
“We want discipline and order in the region and no one will regret for their simple minded mistakes,” added Musonye. Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has confirmed its position to host the tournament.
FUFA Chief Executive Officer Edgar Watson said they had finalised all the consultations and a confirmation letter had already been sent to the regional secretariat.
CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup is sponsored by the East African Breweries Limited (EABL) through the Tusker brand.