Jose Mourinho admits that Chelsea's pursuit of Manchester United star Wayne Rooney is "finished", but insists he is happy with his squad after the purchase of Anzhi Makhachkala forward Samuel Eto'o.
The Blues' bid to buy the unsettled England striker has been one of the summer's longest-running transfer sagas, but the deal appeared to be over after Rooney publicly thanked the United fans for a warm reception while playing against Mourinho's men at Old Trafford on Monday.
And while the 50-year-old coach has failed in his attempts to lure David Moyes' player to Stamford Bridge, he says new signing Eto'o - who he worked with previously at Inter - will give his forward line some much-needed experience.
"No, no. For all parties, finished," he told Sky Sports after Chelsea lost the Uefa Super Cup to Bayern Munich 5-4 on penalties on Friday night. "One thing is to tell you through other people that you want, you want, you want, you want, you want, you want very much, but in the end of the day...
"It's the end [of our business]. We have a good group and Samuel [Eto'o] will give us other kind of qualities in attack - an experienced player in a team that needs some experienced players."
Mourinho insists he is not disappointed with Rooney's decision not to hand in a transfer request at United, suggesting the player has to do what he feels is right for his career and his life.
"No. I feel it's alright," he continued. "Everyone has to show his life, his future, so for me, I respect that a lot."