The 25-year-old has spoken out about his ambitions to become a mainstay of Roy Hodgson’s squad in the wake of his third call-up ahead of Wednesday's Sweden friendly
The Chester-born centre back has not taken to the field in an England shirt so far, but could well collect his first cap on Wednesday evening following some dependable performances at the heart Tony Pulis’ defence.
It is the third time Shawcross has been summoned by Roy Hodgson, and the defender has admitted he is now starting to feel comfortable as a part of his country’s international set-up.
"On a personal level, if I'm doing okay and being consistent, I always felt that I had enough to hopefully break into the England squad,” Shawcross told FATV. “And luckily enough I have done, so I want to stay in it.
"It's always good to come away with the national team and now I've been a few times I'm starting to feel at home. Hopefully we can get a positive result out in Sweden and that's the main point of this week really.”
Shawcross also discussed his eligibility to represent British rivals Wales at senior level, having done so as a schoolboy, although insisted he never considered it as a serious option.
"When I was a schoolboy, I played for Wales because I went to school [there] but when I turned 16, there was a rule that said I couldn't play for Wales," he explained.
"But in recent months, that rule changed and I can play for Wales again. But I've always wanted to play for England and I spoke to Chris Coleman, and Gary Speed before that, and made it clear that I wanted to play for England, so there was never really any choice."