thumbnail Hello,
Caf to announce ruling on Dakar violence in the Senegal - Ivory Coast match last month

Caf to announce ruling on Dakar violence in the Senegal - Ivory Coast match last month

Getty Images

The African football governing body says it will make known its ruling on Senegal later this month following a stadium riot that led to the abandonment of an Afcon 2013 qualifier

In a letter sent to Senegal football federation (FSF) on Wednesday, Caf said it had concluded investigations into the October 13 match chaos at the Leopold Senghor Stadium in Dakar during the return leg of the second round 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying between Senegal and Cote D’Ivoire, which was abandoned in the last quarter.

Caf said it would release its verdict after a meeting of its Disciplinary Committee on November 26 in Cairo.

The FSF sent results of its own investigation to the continental body a week after the incident, saying local officials were expecting clement sanctions from Caf due to the fact that the riot was spontaneous and not premeditated.

However, some members of the Senegal FA had accused former international El Hadji Diouf of sabotaging the encounter because he was not called up to the team despite the cancellation of his five-year ban, which spread rumours of his probable return to the fold.

Diouf offered 1,000 tickets to his fans to attend to the game but said they were not responsible for the violence.

Didier Drogba’s second goal against Senegal torched off the rampage that led to the suspension of the meeting.

Caf subsequently confirmed the Elephants’ victory on a 6-2 aggregate over Senegal.

                

Related

From the web