thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • May 3, 2014
  • • 15:00
  • • Afraha Stadium, Nakuru

Ulinzi Stars 2-1 KCB: Soldiers break into bankers’ safe to return to winning ways

Ulinzi Stars 2-1 KCB: Soldiers break into bankers’ safe to return to winning ways

Timothy Olobulu

Goals from Evan Amuoka and Kevin Amwayi ensured that Ulinzi Stars revenged against KCB and marked a bad start for coach Rishadi Shedu

Ulinzi Stars returned to winning ways after two goals in first half enabled them edge out Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) in a league match played at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on Saturday.

First half goals from Kevin Amwayi and Evans Amwoka were enough to hand Ulinzi Stars their second win in 11 games and only their first win at home this season. The win also marked a bad start for new KCB coach Rishadi Shedu.

The first half was an eventful one with the match almost turning into a battle field in more than one instance with altercations flying from all over the field. KCB keeper Kaleb Wafula had to be substituted after half an hour after a mid air collision with Mohammed Hassan and this was the start of all battles.

KCB defender Kevin ‘Gazza’ Omondi evaded a red card after getting his first yellow for bad mouthing the referee in the incident while on the stroke of half time, he was almost shown a straight red card for elbowing Geoffrey Kokoyo on the face but ref Amos Ichingwa only gave him a warning.

The soldiers hungry for a win after a disastrous start to the season attacked from the first whistle with coach Robert Matano urging them on from the touchline. Stephen Waruru had the first clear chance after 11 minutes but his header from yards out went just over the bar.

On the opposite end, Bethwell Warambo almost caught keeper Francis Ochieng’ napping with a chipped cross from the right but luckily for the experienced Ulinzi custodian, the ball bounced off the cross bar.

Ulinzi kept on asking the questions and Elvis Nandwa forced a decent save off Kale Wafula in the 11th minute with a superb shot on his weaker left foot after a deft turn at the edge of the box. The heavens finally opened for the soldiers in the 21st minute, Evans Amwoka heading in from a superb Oliver Kiprutto cross from the left after a swift counter attack.

Four minutes later, they made it two, this time Kevin Amwayi striking a superb left foot shot from 30 yards out catching keeper Wafula completely flat footed. With the latter being stretchered out injured on the half hour mark, Sammy Okinda returning from injury took over and he was almost handed a rude welcome with Waruru missing another great chance chipping the ball over the bar with Okinda off his line.

KCB managed to better their act in the second period as they were calm and composed as opposed to the chaos they had in the opening period. Crispinus Onyango scored in the 55th minute, tapping in from Sosthenes Idah’s cross after suspect Ulinzi defending.

The goal lit up KCB as they saw a ray of hope in Onyango’s goal. However, Ulinzi’s experience helped them to sup in the pressure and attack on the counters which had they been more efficient should have ended inside the box.

Stephen Waruru and Kevin Amwayi both had two good chances to strike on the counter with Okinda just managing to keep his side in the game. 


From the web