Bayern Munich - BATE Preview: Bundesliga giants look to top Group F
The Bavarians host the Belarusians in the final round of Champions League group games, knowing they will top the pool if they match or better Valencia's result
By Ben McAleer
Lahm, Dante, Boateng, Alaba
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Radkov, Yurevich, Simic, Bordachov
Sivakov, Kontsevoi, Olekhnovich
Holger Badstuber is the main casualty for Bayern Munich as they look to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League as Group F winners.
The Germany international was stretchered off during the Bavarians' 1-1 draw with Borussia Dortmund at the weekend after tearing the cruciate ligaments in his right knee.
Head coach Jupp Heynckes will also be without a host of first team players through injury, including Luiz Gustavo and Arjen Robben, for Bayern's final group game, safe in the knowledge that if they can match or better Valencia's result in France, they will qualify as group winners.
Meanwhile, BATE are guaranteed a place in the Europa League after Christmas following their loss to Lille last month, but cannot be overtaken by the Ligue 1 side due to their superior head-to-head record.
Head coach Viktor Goncharenko has no fresh injury concerns ahead of the encounter and could name the same starting XI that defeated Shakhtyor last weekend.
The last time these two teams met saw the Belarusian side secure an impressive 3-1 win over Bayern back in October, denying the Bundesliga side a 10th straight win at the time.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich have won 15 of their last 16 Champions League games at home.
- The Bavarian giants have also allowed just 13 shots on target against them, the joint-fewest along with Barcelona.
- Mario Gomez (pictured, right) has scored 20 goals in his last 19 Champions League appearances, but hasn't netted in Bayern's last three games in the competition.
- BATE striker Vitali Rodionov has committed 20 fouls in the Champions League this season, more than any other player.
- The Belarusian outfit have also earned 14 yellow cards during this year's competition, one more than Wednesday night's opponents.
- BATE have scored only three goals less than Bayern in Group F, but have conceded five more than the Bundesliga side.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Bayern München 3-0 FC BATE Borisov
- 19.53 %
FC Bayern München 4-0 FC BATE Borisov
- 14.72 %
FC Bayern München 5-0 FC BATE Borisov
- 9.04 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 5, 2012||FC Bayern München 4 - FC BATE Borisov 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 2, 2012||FC BATE Borisov 3 - FC Bayern München 1|
|FC Bayern München|
|Dec 7, 2013||Werder Bremen 0 - FC Bayern München 7||BUN|
|Dec 4, 2013||FC Augsburg 0 - FC Bayern München 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||FC Bayern München 2 - Eintracht Braunschweig 0||BUN|
|Nov 27, 2013||CSKA Moscow 1 - FC Bayern München 3||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - FC Bayern München 3||BUN|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|