Olympiakos - Montpellier Preview: The French champions look to bounce back in Greece after dramatic loss in matchday three
Kostas Mitroglou's goal in the dying minutes of the previous encounter earned vital points for Leonardo Jardim's men, but there is still all to play for at the Karaiskakis Stadium
By Martin Macdonald
Torosidis, Manolas, Contreras, Holebas
Fuster, Greco, Mitroglou
Bocaly, Yanga-Mbiwa, Hilton, Bedimo
Utaka, Belhanda, Mounier
Olympiakos welcome Montpellier to the Karaiskakis stadium on Tuesday evening, having stolen the points in dramatic fashion on matchday 3 thanks to a goal from Kostas Mitroglou.
They will be without Avraam Papadopoulos as the defender is currently still sidelined following the knee injury he suffered whilst playing for Greece in the 2012 European Championships. Pablo Contreras and Kostas Manolas may start as the central defensive pairing.
The Greek side will also be without Ariel Ibagaza and Tasos Papazoglou, who are out until November with a groin and shoulder injury respectively.
Karim Ait-Fana, Montpellier's opening goalscorer in the 2-2 draw with Schalke, suffered a major injury blow at the start of October and will miss six months of action with a knee injury.
However, the French side will likely welcome right-back Garry Bocaly back into the side after the 24-year-old served a suspension in the last match following his dismissal against Schalke. John Utaka, Younes Belhanda and Anthony Mounier may support Gaetan Charbonnier in attack as the Frenchman manages to score Montpellier's goal in the last match at La Masson.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Olympiakos have lost their last four home games against visitors from France. In the previous eight such contests they lost just once, winning five and drawing two.
- The last time the Athenians beat a French team at home came in the 2004-05 Uefa Cup round of 32 when they beat
- Kostas Mitroglou's winner on matchday three was Olympiakos' 100th Champions League goal.
- The previous match at La Mosson was the first occasion Montpellier have faced Greek opponents.
- The French side are one of three clubs making their debut in the group stage this season, along with Malaga and Nordsjaelland.
- Montpellier have already dropped more points at home in the league this season that the entire of the 2011-2012 campaign.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Olympiakos Piraeus 2-0 Montpellier Herault SC
- 17.5 %
Olympiakos Piraeus 1-1 Montpellier Herault SC
- 16.5 %
Olympiakos Piraeus 2-1 Montpellier Herault SC
- 15 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 6, 2012||Olympiakos Piraeus 3 - Montpellier Herault SC 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 24, 2012||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Olympiakos Piraeus 2|
|Dec 7, 2013||Olympiakos Piraeus 2 - Asteras Tripolis 0||GRE1|
|Dec 1, 2013||Olympiakos Piraeus 3 - Ergotelis 0||GRE1|
|Nov 27, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympiakos Piraeus 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Panthrakikos 1 - Olympiakos Piraeus 4||GRE1|
|Nov 10, 2013||Olympiakos Piraeus 4 - PAOK 0||GRE1|
|Montpellier Herault SC|
|Dec 8, 2013||Toulouse FC 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 1||Lig1|
|Dec 4, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 0 - FC Lorient 2||Lig1|
|Nov 29, 2013||Olympique de Marseille 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 0||Lig1|
|Nov 23, 2013||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - EA Guingamp 1||Lig1|
|Nov 9, 2013||Valenciennes FC 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 1||Lig1|
|5||Vitorino Hilton da Silva||Defender|
|21||Abdelhamid El Kaoutari||Defender|