Real Madrid - Manchester City Preview: Roberto Mancini's men face nine-time European Cup winners
Jose Mourinho's side will be hoping to put a horrendous start to their league season behind them as they host one of the competitions dark horses on home soil
By James McManus
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo
Ozil, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo
Maicon, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Yaya Toure, Barry
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has a fully fit squad to pick from going into his side's first Champions League game of the season, but the rumoured dissatisfaction of star player Cristiano Ronaldo continues to hit the headlines at home and abroad.
The Portuguese manager's opposite number Roberto Mancini has no fresh injury concerns going into the game, but there are still a number of players who will miss the trip.
Brazilian right-back Maicon could be handed a European debut for his new club after starting against Stoke, with Micah Richards still battling an ankle injury and Pablo Zabaleta nursing a hamstring strain.
Elsewhere, Jack Rodwell may manage to shake off a knee injury in time, while Sergio Aguero could still play some part as he completes an earlier than expected return from his own knee problem.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid's defeat to Sevilla in their last league outing saw them fall eight points behind Barcelona after just four games.
- Los Blancos have won this tournament, in its various previous incarnations, more than any other side in Europe, triumphing nine times in the past.
- However, they last won the Champions League back in 2001-02 under the guidance of current Spain boss Vicente del Bosque.
- Madrid's defeat against Sevilla was their second in the league so far, the same number they suffered during the whole of last season on their way to the title.
- Manchester City are yet to keep a clean sheet so far this season.
- Sergio Aguero (pictured right) was the club's top scorer in Europe last season with five goals.
- Manchester City beat last season's finalists Bayern Munich 2-0 at home in the group stages. The German outfit went on to knock Real Madrid out at the semi-final stage.
- Roberto Mancini failed to win a major European trophy during his four-year spell in charge of Italian outfit Inter Milan, whereas his successor Jose Mourinho won the Champions League with them in his second and final year at San Siro.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid CF 1-2 Manchester City
- 15.02 %
Real Madrid CF 3-1 Manchester City
- 14.56 %
Real Madrid CF 2-1 Manchester City
- 12.38 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 21, 2012||Manchester City 1 - Real Madrid CF 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 18, 2012||Real Madrid CF 3 - Manchester City 2|
|Real Madrid CF|
|Dec 8, 2013||CD Olímpic de Xàtiva 0 - Real Madrid CF 0||ESPC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Real Madrid CF 4 - Valladolid 0||LIGA|
|Nov 27, 2013||Real Madrid CF 4 - Galatasaray 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||UD Almería 0 - Real Madrid CF 5||LIGA|
|Nov 9, 2013||Real Madrid CF 5 - Real Sociedad 1||LIGA|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|