Sampdoria - AC Milan Preview: Rossoneri hope to bounce back from Coppa disappointment
Juventus dispatched Massimiliano Allegri's men with an extra-time victory to deny them a place in the semis, and Milan will have to recover quickly against a resurgent Samp
By Daniel Edwards
Gastaldello, Palombo, Costa
De Silvestri, Krsticic, Obiang, Poli, E'rribia
Abate, Mexes, Zapata, De Sciglio
Flamini, Montolivo, Nocerino
Robinho, El Shaarawy
Having picked up a priceless victory away at Juventus in their first fixture of 2013, easing relegation worries, Sampdoria coach Delio Rossi is expected to make just one, enforced change to his line-up. Gaetano Berardi is suspended after picking up a red card in Turin, and he will be replaced on the right by Lorenzo De Silvestri. Young Argentine striker Mauro Icardi repaid his employers' faith in him in declining to release the teenager for the South American Under-20 Championship with a double, and will again lead the line alongside Eder.
Milan, meanwhile, are ready to ring the changes after crashing out of the Coppa Italia at the quarter-final stage on Wednesday, at the hands of Juventus. Marco Amelia, Francesco Acerbi, Urby Emanuelson and Massimo Ambrosini are all likely to drop to the bench, while Robinho could start in Genoa after failing to make an appearance in midweek.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sampdoria recorded their first win in five games, and only their sixth of the season, with an impressive 2-1 comeback triumph at the expense of Juventus in their last fixture.
- The victory, inspired by two goals from 19-year-old forward Emanuel Icardi (pictured, right), lifted the Genoese team up to 14th in the Serie A standings, easing relegation worries.
- The side's last two home games have ended in disappointment for the local supporters, as Samp went down to Lazio (0-1) and Udinese during a run of three straight defeats.
- AC Milan began the 2012-13 season with defeat at home to Sampdoria, downed by a single goal from Andrea Costa. The Rossoneri have lost a total of six matches so far in Serie A, and lie in seventh place.
- Disappointment at going out of the Coppa Italia to Juve was alleviated by another goal-scoring appearance from Stephan El Shaarawy. The young striker has netted 17 times in the current season, including an impressive 14 in just 18 games in Serie A.
- El Shaarawy can expect an interesting reception from home fans when he steps out at Stadio Luigi Ferraris. The forward began his career at Sampdoria's bitter rivals Genoa, debuting at the age of 16 before moving to Milan in 2011.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Sampdoria 1-3 Milan
- 19.04 %
Sampdoria 0-2 Milan
- 14.63 %
Sampdoria 1-2 Milan
- 12.73 %
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Sep 28, 2013||Milan 1 - Sampdoria 0|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Jan 13, 2013||Sampdoria 0 - Milan 0|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Aug 26, 2012||Milan 0 - Sampdoria 1|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||Apr 16, 2011||Milan 3 - Sampdoria 0|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||Jan 26, 2011||Sampdoria 1 - Milan 2|
|Dec 1, 2013||Inter 1 - Sampdoria 1||SR-A|
|Nov 24, 2013||Sampdoria 1 - Lazio 1||SR-A|
|Nov 10, 2013||Fiorentina 2 - Sampdoria 1||SR-A|
|Nov 3, 2013||Sampdoria 3 - Sassuolo 4||SR-A|
|Oct 30, 2013||Verona 2 - Sampdoria 0||SR-A|
|29||Lorenzo De Silvestri||Defender|
|1||Angelo Da Costa||Goalkeeper|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed