Tottenham - Sunderland Preview: Visitors have lost on nine of last 11 trips to White Hart Lane
With the Black Cats now safe from relegation, Andre Villas-Boas will hope that his side can put pressure on Arsenal as a win is required to keep their Champions League dream alive
By Sam Wells
Walker, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen
Lennon, Huddlestone, Dembele, Dempsey
Colback, Bramble, Cuellar, O'Shea
Bardsley, Larsson, N'Diaye, McClean
Andre Villas-Boas appears likely to keep faith in predominantly the same team that earned a 2-1 win at Stoke last Sunday.
Mousa Dembele does, however, appear primed to replace Scott Parker in the centre of midfield as he returns from the hamstring injury that ruled him out of the past two games, with William Gallas (calf) the only fresh injury concern.
Paolo Di Canio, meanwhile, is set to make a variety of enforced changes from the side that secured survival during the week.
As Danny Rose is ineligible to face parent club Spurs, Titus Bramble looks ready to come in at centre-back, with John O'Shea moving to left-back.
Matters are made even worse by the continued suspension of both Stephane Sessegnon and Craig Gardner, while Lee Cattermole and Steven Fletcher remain ruled out through injury.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunderland have only won one of their last eight league games against Tottenham, losing four, and lost nine of their last 11 at White Hart Lane.
- The Black Cats can take solace in the fact that they have garnered eight points from their six games under Paolo Di Canio; they had earned a meagre three points from their last eight games managed by Martin O'Neill.
- No side has scored fewer goals in the opening 15 minutes of matches or in the final 15 minutes of matches than Sunderland this season.
- If Gareth Bale (pictured right) scores in this game, he will have equalled the most goals ever scored by a Tottenham player in a Premier League season - Teddy Sheringham, who scored 21 in 1993-1994.
- Spurs need a win to have any chance of qualifying for the Champions League, needing Arsenal to drop points against Newcastle as well.
- If Tottenham win today, they will topple their best ever points tally in a Premier League season; 70, in 2009-10 - they currently have 69 points.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 2-0 Sunderland
- 16.78 %
Tottenham 3-1 Sunderland
- 12.98 %
Tottenham 3-0 Sunderland
- 12.04 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 7, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Jul 24, 2013||Sunderland 3 - Tottenham 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 19, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Sunderland 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 29, 2012||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 7, 2012||Sunderland 0 - Tottenham 0|
|Mar 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 2, 2014||Tottenham 1 - Cardiff City 0||EPL|
|Feb 27, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Feb 20, 2014||Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - Tottenham 0||EL|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|
Times In EAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed