Manchester City - Newcastle United Preview: Mancini's men looking for seventh-straight Premier League win over Magpies
Alan Pardew's side may have one eye on their Europa League quarter-final, while the champions are aiming to keep the pressure on Manchester United
By Tom McKeown
Zabaleta, K Toure, Kompany, Clichy
Y Toure, Barry
Silva, Tevez, Milner
Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Taylor, Santon
Marveaux, Sissoko, Gouffran
Roberto Mancini has a host of players returning from injury and is expected to make several changes from the 2-0 defeat at Everton on March 16.
Vincent Kompany is set for a return to the starting line-up after playing for Belgium during the international break, while Yaya Toure should return after illness. Sergio Aguero is also likely to make his comeback.
Newcastle United, meanwhile, have a trip to Benfica next Thursday and Alan Pardew could rest some key players, although Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Fabricio Coloccini (back) and Tim Krul (ankle) are out, while Yohan Cabaye (groin) is still a doubt.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- A win for Manchester City will make it their seventh consecutive Premier League victory over Alan Pardew’s men.
- City have beaten Newcastle 14 times in the Premier League; only against Aston Villa (18 times) have they won more.
- Yaya Toure (pictured right) has scored more league goals (three) against Newcastle than against any other Premier League side.
- City have dropped seven points in their last seven league games at the Etihad Stadium, having only dropped six in the previous 36.
- With 31, the Magpies have used more players in the top flight than any other side.
- Newcastle have picked up just eight points on their travels this season; only Reading (five) have registered fewer.
- Pardew’s men are the worst victims of late goals, having conceding 15 in the last 15 minutes of league matches; more than any other side.
- The Magpies’ last – and only – win in the city of Manchester came against City at Maine Road in September 2000.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United
- 14.96 %
Manchester City 1-2 Newcastle United
- 14.44 %
Manchester City 3-1 Newcastle United
- 11.06 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 12, 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Manchester City 2|
|England - Capital One Cup (League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 30, 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Manchester City 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 19, 2013||Manchester City 4 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Manchester City 4 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 15, 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Manchester City 3|
|Apr 16, 2014||Manchester City 2 - Sunderland 2||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City 4 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|Mar 25, 2014||Man. United 0 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
Times In EAT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed