thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • March 16, 2014
  • • 16:15
  • • Nairobi City Stadium, Nairobi

Gor Mahia 2-0 Western Stima: K'Ogalo cruise to third straight victory of the season

Gor Mahia 2-0 Western Stima: K'Ogalo cruise to third straight victory of the season

Girgo Omondi.

Second half goals from Dan Sserunkuma and Kevin 'Ade' Omondi helped the champions ease past the power men and move fourth on standings

Second half goals from Danny Sserunkuma and Kevin Omondi enabled Gor Mahia to go fourth on Kenyan Premier League standings as they switched off Western Stima 2-0 at City Stadium  on Sunday.

After a goalless first half, K’Ogalo spurred by the full to capacity City Stadium, roared on to play an attacking game that saw them record their third straight league win. This was an important win especially coming at the backdrop of their huge defeat to Esperance away in Tunisia on Monday.

Both teams started with an attack minded game with Stima especially keen on using counter attacks, something that they were effective in. In the 6th minute, David Juma forced a great save from Wesley Kemboi after the striker beat the offiside trap from Paul Odhiambo’s pass but his attempted lob was saved.

On the opposite end, Geoffrey Kizito tried his luck from a distance but his effort went wide. Paul Odhiambo had another great chance for Stima, again beating the offside trap but he lobbed the ball over the bar with David Juma off his line.

After the opening 15 minutes of attacks, both teams reduced intensity at the mouth of goal with Stima laying back leaving only Paul Odhiambo and Collins Neto upfront. George 'Blackberry' Odhiambo had a decent chance for Gor but he missed his kick after being teed in by Shabaan Kenga.

In the second period, it was Gor Mahia’s chance to attack and they did this with energy. Sserunkuma had a golden chance five minutes after the restart but his shot went straight into keeper Ben Mandela’s arms.

Patrick Oboya, who had a colorful game, also had a powerful shot tipped over acrobatically by Mandela. The goal finally came in after 65 minutes, Sserunkuma lifting the ball over keeper Mandela, the Stima defense caught flat footed after losing the ball in midfield.

Gor continued to attack and five minutes from the final whistle, Kevin ‘Ade’ Omondi, who had come on for Oboya, produced superb individual effort to go past three Stima defenders and shoot at goal. Though his first shot was blocked, he managed to get to the rebound and put the ball behind the net.

Coach Williamson was impressed with the result praising his team for the win. “We played very well and everyone was committed. We kept a clean sheet and that was important. Kevin also scored a beautiful goal from an individual effort and coming off the bench, that was great,” he told Goal.