Speculation was rife on Sunday that the Argentine coach would be dismissed by the Dubai outfit's new board of directors, but the club has come out denying the rumoursNew Al Wasl chairman Mohammad Ahmad bin Fahad has quashed rumours claiming coach Diego Maradona was set to be sacked, stating the Argentine will remain at the helm of the club.
Speculation was rife on Sunday that the 51-year-old coach would be dismissed by a newly-appointed board after a mass resignation of directors last week believed to be upset after a trophyless 2011-12 season.
Maradona's first season of a two-year contract at Al Wasl was disappointing as the club finished down in eighth in the league. Al Wasl also lost the Gulf Clubs Championship final on penalties after winning to the first leg 3-1 away from home and crashed out of the President's and Emirates Cups at the quarterfinal stage.
However, bin Fahad moved to quell the rumours on Sunday, stating Maradona would remain in charge for next term.
"Maradona is the head coach of the Al Wasl Club, he has a contract with us and he will continue for the next season," he told reporters.
"He will have complete authority over the programme for the next season and at there is nothing more I can say on the issue.
"There is nothing that he is left Wasl and that’s what I can say for now. He is continuing his position and there is no change in his position."
The club had earlier moved to quell the speculation when it wrote on its Twitter account: “News of the sacking of Al Wasl coach Diego Maradona is incorrect."
Al Wasl president Sheikh Ahmed bin Rashid Al Maktoum recently told UAE TV that he wanted plenty of changes for the 2012-13 season after the dismal trophyless term.
“I have asked the new committee to remove the negatives at the club next season and not forget that the next season will be tougher because there are more teams competing for the title," he said.
"Eighth place is simply unacceptable and I would never dream of something like that. We had a goal to be among the top four last season.
"We have to repair the situation within the club and I apologise to the public because we did not give them what they deserved, we hope the new administration will put a smile back on the faces of our fans.”