By Paolo Camedda
Former AC Milan midfielder Federico Giunti believes that the Rossoneri will have to press hard in Tuesday's Champions League contest against Barcelona.
The Serie A champions head into the quarter-final clash at Camp Nou knowing that a victory or score draw will see them progress following the goalless stalemate at San Siro last week.
Giunti, who was part of the Milan side who beat Barca 2-0 at Camp Nou in 2000, said that the Italian club must not take a defensive approach to the game.
"Milan can play for qualification at Camp Nou, although it is true that Barca at home are very different from what we saw in the first leg," Giunti told Goal.com.
"I hope all of Milan's key players will be at 100 per cent, because in order to win they will need to be fresh.
"Barca force their opponents to run for the ball, so it will be crucial to be at a great physical level.
"To go through, Milan must not only defend, they will have to press hard and run a lot to play in Barca's own half and get the advantage.
"If they are able to play like this, they will send a strong signal to Barcelona, who will realise that Milan are there to play for the victory."
The 40-year-old, who retired from football in 2008, then singled out Lionel Messi as the biggest threat to Milan on Tuesday.
"He is really unique, a phenomenon," Giunti said. "He starts out as a forward, but he is not one, because he moves around in attack and gives no reference point to the defenders.
"If Milan can limit his action, it would be a good sign for them."