- German Sports magazine 11 Freunde featured him as Princess Leia in a Star Wars mock-up for their season preview special, causing a stir among fans. This curiosity arose because Mario Gomez said in November 2010 that it would be better for homosexual footballers to be open about it.
No fear| The striker believes that homosexual footballers should be open about their orientation
- He is one of the few footballers to have his own website, www.mario-gomez.de . He has a blog here where he keeps updating match news and views.
- He is certainly not averse to being discerning if his fashion choices, having appeared in a Hugo Boss print ad series with international team-mates Serdar Tasci and Lukas Podolski.
- He doesn't mind the magazines either, having posed and given interviews for the German Playboy and Men's Health.
- He is of Spanish German origin, with a father from Granada and a German mother. He could have played for either country, but eventually chose Germany.
Not La Furia Roja? | Gomez eventually chose to represent Germany, to both parties' advantage
- His nickname 'Torero', is a reference to his other nationality, meaning a bullfighter.
- He has his share of sporting well wishers. After his 28 goal Bundesliga haul last season, Formula 1 World Champion Seb Vettel, Bayern mates Schweinsteiger, Badstuber and Lahm, former teammate Andreas Ottl, former Dortmund player Lars Ricken and former Formula 1 driver David Coulthard (who, in a fit of too much information, revealed 'You're as good with a football as my wife is with mine') all lining up to congratulate him.
A lot like my wife?! | Coulthard presents a disturbing analogy with his congratulations to Gomez
- Mario Gomez's wildly spiky hairstyle took a lot of inches in the tabloid columns last season, with theories ranging from 'the Bart Simpson look' to 'fell asleep at the hairdresser's'.
- When he's not annoying the living daylights out of goalkeepers, he likes to relax with an energetic game of tennis.
- According to Bayern's website, the man from Unlingen lives by the motto of 'Never Give Up'.
How do you stay up with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.