thumbnail Hello,

The Rossoneri chief feels his team are conceding too many goals this term, and says the players desperately need the international break in order to recover

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has slammed his team's defensive work in the wake of Sunday's loss to Juventus.

The Rossoneri suffered a 3-2 defeat in Turin, with coach Massimiliano Galliani admitting afterwards that his side had simply been punished for their sloppiness at the back.

Galliani has now weighed in, admitting that Milan's defenders will have to buck up their ideas if they are to recover from a slow start for the second successive Serie A campaign.

"Things are certainly not going right, but the same happened last season," the 69-year-old told reporters on Monday.

"The 13 goals we have conceded are a lot. Only Sassuolo and Bologna have let in more. We need to work on the defence.

"We played a good game against Juventus for over an hour, we were still level with them in the middle of the second half and had that Robinho chance.

"We have to stay calm. And things have gone well in the Champions League for us. The international break comes at the right time. We’ll be able to recover a few players."

Mario Balotelli was banned for the Juve clash on account of the red card he received after last month's loss to Napoli, but Galliani says the unavailability of other key players proved arguably more significant.

"I don’t know if Mario Balotelli would have changed the game," he mused. "His absence was a big loss, as was that of Stephan El Shaarawy.

"Then we also had Kaka, Mattia De Sciglio and others out ..."

Milan currently sit 12th in Serie A, 11 points off the Champions League places.

Related

From the web