thumbnail Hello,


  • 14 April 2013
  • • 17:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong, Meghalaya

Shillong Lajong FC 2-0 Mumbai FC: The Reds move further away from the relegation zone

Shillong Lajong FC 2-0 Mumbai FC: The Reds move further away from the relegation zone

Shillong Lajong FC

Goals from Minchol Son and Sushil Kumar saw Shillong Lajong end their winless run, while moving away from the relegation zone at the same time...

Shillong Lajong brought their winless streak to a halt, as they defeated Mumbai FC 2-0, in an I-League encounter at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong.

Minchol Son had headed the home side ahead in the 33rd minute, before Sushil Singh doubled his team’s advantage in the 77th minute.

The hosts started with Edinho Junior and Sushil upfront, while Jibon Singh paired up with W. Passah at the back.

Khalid Jamil meanwhile were without the services of Haroon Amiri, while ND Opara was once again over-looked. S. Kuttymani was drafted into midfield, in order to provide some creativity to the side.

Shillong Lajong started the game brightly, with Edinho Junior looking dangerous in front, and almost got past the away side’s defense on a couple of occasions, as his link-up play with Sushil Kumar led to plenty of problems for Mumbai FC’s defense.

The hosts though, were profligate in front of goal, letting 5 good opportunities go without finding the back of the net.

Just when it looked that like in games before, Lajong would be unable to break to get the vital goal, Minchol Son brought the crowd to its feet, as he headed past the Mumbai custodian in the 33rd minute

The goal meant that Mumbai FC too came out o their shells and some real open, end to end football was witnessed in the next few minutes.

However neither side were able to add to their tally, with Lajong going into half-time, leading by a score of 1-0.

The away side came out all guns blazing in the second half, but without Amiri and Opara in their line-up, found it tough to get past a resolute Lajong defense, who held a deep line, looking to protect what they had.

Renedy Singh then came close to doubling his side’s advantage with a free=kick, but Kunal Sawant parried it away before Sushil Kumar finally found the back of the net in the 79th minute, to give his side some breathing space.

After that, Lajong held back and defended their lead, and eventually the referee blew the final whistle, to hand the hosts three much needed points, which moves them to 10th on the table with 25 points, while Mumbai FC have 30 points from as many games.

Follow Ayush Srivastava on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.