Sporting Clube de Goa 1-2 Pune FC: Derrick Pereira's side edge past the Flaming Oranje

Subhash Singh's brace, one in each half, helped the Red Lizards register a win against Ekendra Sen's side....
Pune FC came from behind to edge past Sporting Clube de Goa by a scoreline of 2-1 in an round eight I-League encounter at the Fatorda Stadium in Goa, on Tuesday.

The deadlock was broken in the 21st minute by Anorue Obiora Richard while Pune FC's Subhash Singh (42') equalised before the end of the first half. The PFC striker then bagged his second (66') of the evening, which proved to be the eventual winner.

Nigerian striker Anorue Obiora Richard was included in the first 11 by Ekendra Singh, ahead of Seiya Sugishita who started on the bench, while Adil Khan made his return to the team.

Derrick Pereira named former Sporting striker James Moga upfront with Subhash Singh for company with Douhou Pierre leading through the midfield and Chika Wali in defense.

Pune FC had the better chances early on in the match as Khanthang Paite missed at least two chances in the opening 15 minutes before they went down by a goal.

Jovel Martins saw his shot saved by Pune FC goalkeeper Abhra Mondal in the home side's earlier chance which was their first shot on target.

A minute after Sporting created their first opportunity, Obiora stretched his leg to tap in Adil Khan's inch-perfect cross from the right in the 21st minute.

The Flaming Oranje could have doubled their lead in the 32nd minute when Freiman Peixoto's cross from the right was completely mis-hit by Dawson Fernandes in the center of the box before Martins blasted it wide from the far side.

The visitors meanwhile didn't lose hope and their efforts paid off in the 42nd minute. Subhash Singh was at the right place at the right time to score the equaliser for his side as James Moga's shot came off Sporting Clube de Goa keeper Ashok Singh.

It was a slow beginning to the second half with not much goal-mouth action happening, with a few chances created by the Goans which were dealt with fairly easily until the 65th minute.

Dawson Fernandes turned to play a pass to Jovel Martins on the left flank, while the latter's cross was headed out by Pune FC's Gurjinder which saw Freiman Peixoto rattle the post, with the ball coming back in play.

Right off the counter, Pune FC striker Subash Singh's curler from the left hit the far post before nestling into the net in the 66th minute to turn the tide in favour of the Red Lizards.

Orange shirts poured forward in numbers in an attempt to score the equaliser. However, the away side defended resolutely, while Moga helped hold on to the ball upfront, further relieving pressure on his side.

Eventually the referee blew the final whistle, condemning the hosts to a defeat that leaves them with just seven points, just two off the drop zone.

Follow Anselm Noronha on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.