Bernard admits he still has a lot of work to do in order to make the Brazil squad for next year's World Cup.
The Shakhtar Donetsk forward was named in coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s group for the upcoming Gillette Brasil Global Tour dates with South Korea and Zambia after impressing Felipao as part of the squad that lifted the Confederations Cup earlier this year.
But despite the vocal support of his coach, the 21-year-old says he’s well aware that he still has to earn his place with the Selecao.
"Nothing is guaranteed," he told Globo.
"There’s a long road ahead. I have a lot to show the coach. I'm still a newcomer to the squad and I have to improve in many aspects.
"The vast majority of the group still need to show more. And even though the squad is still open and I have been called up, I do not want to give the unlucky ones a chance to take my place. I want to grow and show the coach in every match that I am improving."
Bernard is currently in Seoul with the rest of the Brazil squad preparing for Saturday’s clash with South Korea.