Copa Libertadores 2012: Fluminense win the group in dramatic fashion whilst Riquelme leads Boca to victory

Rafael Moura's 93rd minute winner wins Group 4 for Fluminense as Riquelme leads Boca to victory. Elsewhere, Corinthians thrash Dep. Tachira and Cruz Azul ease past Nacional.
Boca Juniors

Boca enjoyed a comfortable evening at La Bombonera, ending as clear winners despite not fielding their strongest team.

Zamora failed to impress throughout the match and finished at the bottom of group 4, having gained just one point and failing to score in all six matches.

Zamora had an opportunity in the first half to end their barren run of games when Luis Yanez was put through on the right of the box and his slow ball across the box count not be converted by Gabriel Torres.

Boca fielded a side mainly made from younger or reserve players. However, Juan Roman Riquelme was central to much of the action. It was Boca’s number 10 that helped Xeneizes score their first goal. His ball into the box was chested down by Sergio Araujo, who had just replaced Pablo Mouche, and fell at the feet of Nicolas Blandi to calmly place the ball past Forero.

With 15 minutes remaining, Riquelme confirmed the victory. Rivero played the ball out wide to Franco Sosa, and his cross from deep on the right was knocked down brilliantly by Araguo for Riquelme to meet and side-foot into the back of the net.

Zamora further tarnished themselves when Dolbys Rodriguez was sent off after he picking up two yellow cards, the second for a tackle from behind on the Boca captain, Riquelme.

Boca finished the group stage in second place and will face Universidad Espanola in the Round of 16.


Fluminense won Group 4 in dramatic fashion following Rafael Moura’s 93rd minute winner put them top of the group.

With both sides not fielding their best eleven, the game was played at a slower tempo than what would have been expected between these two sides, particularly in the first fourty-five minutes.

Fluminense began the game the brighter of the two teams and tested Campestrini early on, however, it took until the 34th minute before the Brazilian side could break the deadlock. Carlinhos picked the ball up on the left, halfway inside the Arsenal half, before playing the ball centrally to Rafael Sobis who calmly returned the pass to Carlinhos on the edge of the box for him to slot the ball under the legs of Campestrini.

In the second half, the Arsenal manager, Gustavo Alfaro, made a number of changes to alter the attitude of their style and Arsenal looked more threatening in the final third. This finally paid off in the 81st minute. Adrian Gonzalez whipped his freekick into the box and as Aguirre and Cavalieri challenged for the ball, Nicolas Aguirre got the better of the Flu goalkeeper and the ball fell fortunately as his feet for him to volley into an empty net.

The game ended in dramatic fashion when Thiago Neves was put through on goal and taken down by Campestrimi. The referee had no choice but to show the Arsenal goalkeeper a straight red card and Arsenal were brought down to ten men. Due to Arsenal having already made their permitted three substitutions, Diego Torres was given the responsibility of facing a penalty against Thiago Neves, and the midfielder sensationally got down to his bottom right to tip the penalty around the post and out for a corner.

However, in the 93rd minute of stoppage time, Manuel Lanzini bent a cross into the box for Rafael Moura to dive and head into the bottom corner and win the match in Sarandi.

This dramatic late winner meant that Fluminense qualify top of the group, having won five out of six group games.

Deportivo Tachira

Corinthians remain undefeated in this year’s Copa Libertadores after thrashing a woeful Deportivo Tachira side in Sao Paulo.

Corinthians had six different scorers after Dep. Tachira played with just ten men for almost and hour after Enrique Rouga was sent off for a vicious challenge on Danilo.

The goals began early in the first half when Danilo headed home after pressure from Jorge Henrique.

Corinthians then extended their lead shortly after when Paulinho and Liedson exchanged several passes down the right wing, moving towards the goal and then swept home under Roberts Rivas by Paulinho.

Following the interval, Corinthians did not let-off and further extended their lead in the 63rd minute when Liedson combined well with the impressive Jorge Henrique to punish the wasteful and unimaginative Deportivo Tachira side even further.

Two goals in two minutes soon followed when Jorge Henrique’s sweeping cross from the right was flicked on by Paulinho into the path of Emerson at the far post who controlled well and then hammered the ball past Rivas. Moments later, Liedson was brought down in the box and was awarded a penalty. The bulky striker stepped up, but his penalty was saved. However, the ball landed in front of him and he had time to tee himself before blasting the ball into the back of the net to further embarrass the visitors.

With less than ten minutes remaining in the match, Corinthians were awarded another penalty. This time Douglas stepped up and scored to deservedly make the scoreline 6-0.

Corinthians finished top of the group with 11 points, whilst Tachira ended their campaign in fourth, having won none of their games.

Cruz Azul
Nacional (P)

With qualification already confirmed, Cruz Azul played with confidence and lethality in front of goal to put four past a Nacional side that struggled to contain a strong Mexican side.

The goals began in the 20th minute when Javier Orozco finally made Cruz Azul’s bombardment of pressure count and from that point onwards, the game hardly looked in doubt.

Although La Maquina had more possession and created the most chances in the first half, Nacional had begun to press and create more towards the end of the first fourty-five minutes, going close on a number of occasions. The visitors got their equaliser two minutes before the break when a lapse in concentration in the Cruz Azul back four put Gustavo Cristaldo through on goal and finished fantastically, lifting the ball over the on-rushing goalkeeper.

However, just moments later in stoppage time at the end of the first half, Cruz Azul regained their lead. Maranhas picked up the ball on the left of the edge of the box and hit a driven shot to sneak in at the near post.

Following the interval, the game continued in the same vane and the Mexican’s were dominant. Cruz Azul made it 3-1 in the 66rd minute when a cross from the right was swung to the back post and hit Maranhas before inadvertently turning into the path of Omar Bravo to smash home from inside the six-yard box.

With the match in full control, Edixon Perea also added his name to the scpre-sheet on 80 minutes. The Colombian sealed the victory with a shot from the edge of the box that crept through the Nacional goalkeeper’s legs to confirm all three points in the final few minutes.

Nacional finish third in Group 6, having won one and drawn one in six games. Cruz Azul finised runners-up to Corinthians in the group and will find out soon who they will face in the next round.