thumbnail Hello,


  • 12 April 2013
  • • 15:30
  • • Kalyani Stadium, Kalyani

Prayag United 4-1 Pailan Arrows: Eelco Schattorie’s side rises to third in the standings

Prayag United 4-1 Pailan Arrows: Eelco Schattorie’s side rises to third in the standings

AIFF Media

A brace from Kayne Vincent and a goal each for Ranti Martins and Mohd. Rafique helped Prayag United to breeze past Arthur Papas’ side…

Prayag United cruised past an average Pailan Arrows side by a score-line of 4-1, in an I-League encounter at the Kalyani Stadium, on Friday.

Kayne Vincent scored two while Ranti Martins and Mohammad Rafiq struck once each for Prayag United. Arrows pulled one back in the second half added-time, when Pronay Halder scored from a penalty. The game though was halted for a few minutes in the second half, after Prabir Das collapsed on the field, and had to be rushed to a hospital. The player apparently developed breathing issues during the game.

The hosts started with Subrata Paul in goal, while Kayne Vincent and Ranti Martins lined up in attack.

The Arrows welcomed back Soram Poirei in-between the sticks, while Deepak Devrani and Shouvik Ghosh started ahead of him.

High on the confidence on beating Dempo 2-0 in the previous match, the developmental side of All India Football Federation started well and put Prayag United on the back foot with a flurry of attacks initially.

They could have gone ahead when Holicharan Narzary played in Seminlen Doungel, inside the Prayag box. The latter though, failed to hit the target, and in all honesty, should have done betterm

Ranti Martins also missed a chance at the other end, when his header came back off the cross-bar.

The Nigerian though, made no mistake in the 22nd minute, after he got to the end of a Kayne Vincent cross, which the goalkeeper and defenders failed to deal with, allowing Ranti to tap home the ball with ease.

Eelco Schattorie’s side though, did not rest on their laurels, and pressed ahead in the hope of doubling their lead. They were rewarded in first half added time; Rafique strode forward with the ball and played a pass to Kayne Vincent, who drove into the left side of the penalty box. With a defender tracking him, he cut the ball back onto his right-foot to create space for a neat finish inside the far post

The second half continued in the same vein, and ten minutes into it, Vincent doubled his tally for the day, taking a shot on the turn, after Dhanachandra Singh had set him up with a pass from the left.

In the 58th minute, Mohd. Rafique put the result beyond doubt, when he was played in by Vincent, and found the back of the net with an angular effort.

Just when it looked like the game would come to an end with no more incident, Prabir Das collapsed in the scorching heat, with the players frenetically calling the ambulance to the pitch. The youngster was rushed to the hospital, where his condition was said to be stable, after he experienced breathing problems in the heat.

The match continued after a few minutes, and Arrows then got a chance to pull one goal back, after Narayan got hacked down inside the box, and the referee pointed to the spot. Pronay Halder stepped up and sent Subrata Paul the wrong way, to score a late consolation goal for Pailan Arrows.

The win saw Prayag move to third on the table, one point ahead of Pune FC, though the Kolkatan outfit have played three games more.

Follow Ayush Srivastava on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.