Andre Villas-Boas' side will be aiming for their seventh consecutive win on Wearside as the hosts will be out to improve on their poor home form in 2011
Bardsley, Bramble, Brown, Richardson
Gardner, Cattermole, Colback, Larsson Sessegnon
Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Cole
Ramires, Mikel, Lampard
Malouda, Torres, Mata
Didier Drogba is out of this game as he still recovers from a concussion sustained in the 3-1 victory over Norwich. However, Andre Villas-Boas can welcome back Petr Cech, who’s been out since the first game of the season, and David Luiz, who will likely start from the bench as he’s played so little football recently. Deadline day signing Raul Meireles will most likely start on the bench with Chelsea sticking with the same midfield that beat the Canaries. Juan Mata will likely join Florent Malouda and Fernando Torres in attack.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunderland have only found the net once this season in the Premier League, that being Seb Larsson’s strike on the opening day of the season at Anfield.
- The Black Cats have only gained seven points at home in 2011, with their last coming in April in a 4-2 win over Wigan.
- Sunderland have had eight bookings this season, with Phil Bardsley being the only Black Cats player to see red this season.
- The last time Sunderland beat Chelsea was last season in a 3-0 victory at Stamford Bridge. However, the Blues recorded a victory against the Black Cats in the reverse fixture at the Stadium of Light where they were 4-2 winners.
- Chelsea’s Fernando Torres (pictured right) has scored just one goal in 27 games for club and country in 2011.
- Chelsea last won away from home in the Premier League in April when they beat West Brom 3-1 at The Hawthorns.
- Chelsea have won on their last six visits to the Stadium of Light. With the last non-win coming in 2001 when the teams drew 0-0.
- The Blues have received six yellow cards this season.