League Cup tie comes amid Premier League and Europa League commitments for both sides, with both managers expected to utilise their squads in a hope to avoid fatigue
Shotton, Shawcross, Upson, Wilson
Pennant, Palacios, Whelan, Etherington
Corluka, Kaboul, Bassong, Townsend
Giovani, Livermore, Bostock, Falque Pavlyuchenko, Kane
Spurs are also likely to make changes but Harry Redknapp's squad remains low on numbers due to several injuries. Youngsters Kane and Townsend may be given an opportunity following promising Europa League outings against PAOK. Redknapp has hinted that Gomes will be selected for this game after opting for Carlo Cudicini in Greece last week.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Stoke will be looking to set the record straight after their unbeaten start to the season was derailed by Sunderland following a 4-0 thumping at the Stadium of Light.
- The arrivals of Peter Crouch and Wilson Palacios (right) saw the number of ex-Spurs players in Stoke's squad double, adding to Matty Etherington and Jonathan Woodgate.
- The League Cup's record goalscorer Geoff Hurst scored six of his 49 League Cup goals for Stoke. The other 43 were scored for West Ham.
- The Potters were eliminated in the fourth-round of the League Cup by West Ham last season. They fared better in the FA Cup, however, reaching the final where they were beaten by Manchester City.
- The 1972 League Cup remains Stoke's only major honour.
- Tottenham won this competition as recently as 2008 when they beat Chelsea thanks to a Woodgate header.
- Spurs have contested six League Cup finals, winning four of them.
- Redknapp's side have kept three consecutive clean sheets in all competitions after conceding five against Manchester City.
- Tottenham beat Stoke in both of their Premier League encounters last season.
- White Hart Lane legend Clive Allen holds the record for most League Cup goals scored in one season, netting an incredible 12 times in the 1986/87 campaign.