A quarter-final place awaits the victors but the visitors know they can take nothing for granted in the Potteries, where they were beaten last month in a controversial game
Shotton, Huth, Shawcross, Wilkinson
Whitehead, Diao, Palacios, Etherington
Kelly, Carragher, Coates, Agger
Maxi, Lucas, Spearing, Bellamy
Already just a few games away from cup glory, Stoke City host Liverpool in an all Premier League cup clash. Having won this equivalent fixture just over a month ago, the Potters will be optimistic that their direct approach will once again give them the advantage over the Reds who have won this trophy a record seven times.
Stoke winger Jermaine Pennant failed to overcome a hamstring problem in time for the weekend trip to Arsenal and is probably not going to be risked. Defender Danny Higginbotham is out, as is striker Ricardo Fuller.
Liverpool will be without reserve goalkeeper Doni, so will be forced to once again go with first choice Pepe Reina. Young full-back Jack Robinson is 50-50 to make it.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool are the most successful side in League Cup history with seven wins.
- They have also reached the final more times than any other side (10 times).
- Stoke have won the League Cup only once, in 1971/72.
- Stoke have never beaten Liverpool in 10 cup games (losing seven and drawing three).
- Their last meeting in a cup game was also at Stoke, with Liverpool running out 8-0 winners in 2000.
- In four home games against the Reds since their promotion to the Premier League, Stoke are undefeated (two wins, two draws).