The Reds have drawn two and lost one of their three games in the Potteries since 2008, while the hosts are set to hand former Anfield hero Peter Crouch his debut
Huth, Woodgate, Shawcross, Wilson
Pennant, Delap, Palacios, Etherington
Flanagan, Carragher, Agger, Enrique
Henderson, Adam, Lucas, Downing
The Stoke boss may opt to use Robert Huth as a right-back to allow Jonathan Woodgate to partner Ryan Shawcross at the back, as he did when his side held Chelsea to goalless draw on the opening day of the Premier League season.
Kenny Dalglish has confirmed that Charlie Adam should be ready after picking up an injury in Scotland's 2-2 draw with the Czech Republic last week, while full-back Martin Kelly is expected to be out after pulling up with a hamstring complaint in Liverpool's last game, against Bolton. Glen Johnson has only recently returned to training and may not be ready to start, which could see John Flanagan coming in at right-back.
The visitors are also without captain Steven Gerrard, who is still recovering from a long-term groin problem, but are able to field deadline day signings Craig Bellamy and Sebastian Coates. Andy Carroll looks set to be on the bench after Liverpool swept aside Bolton with the giant striker on the sidelines, with Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt forming a solid partnership.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Stoke are unbeaten against Saturday's visitors in the Premier League at the Britannia Stadium. They held Rafael Benitez's title-chasing 2009 side to a goalless draw, then Robert Huth popped up late on to deny the Reds three points a year later before they bullied Roy Hodgson's meek men last season.
- The Potters are unbeaten in the seven competitive games they have played this season and have conceded only one goal (away to Norwich), having also faced Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League and Hadjuk Split and FC Thun in qualifying for the Europa League group stages.
- Stoke won last season's corresponding fixture 2-0, with Ricardo Fuller and Kenwyne Jones both finding the net.
- Tony Pulis made five signings this summer but did not spend any money until the deadline day, having snapped up Jonathan Woodgate and Matthew Upson on Bosman deals before paying out over £20m for Crouch (pictured right), Cameron Jerome and Palacios on August 31.
- Kenny Dalglish spent around £50m on his six first-team purchases, as Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Alexander Doni, Jose Enrique and Craig Bellamy came in during the summer.
- The last time Liverpool beat Stoke at the Britannia Stadium was in November 2000, when they won 8-0 en route to winning the League Cup.
- The hosts have only beaten the Merseyside club 27 times in the league, with the Reds winning 55 of the 112 games played between the sides.
- Liverpool's Lucas Leiva was sent off for two bookable offences in this fixture last year.
- The Reds beat the Potters the last time the sides met in the Premier League, with Luis Suarez striking after coming on as a substitute on his debut in a 2-0 win at Anfield.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!