thumbnail Hello,


  • 15 March 2014
  • • 17:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Fatorda Stadium), Margao, Goa

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 Mumbai FC: Yakubu wins a point for the visitors

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 Mumbai FC: Yakubu wins a point for the visitors

AIFF Media

The Flaming Oranje's poor form continued as they failed to garner three points against a struggling Mumbai outfit...

Sporting Clube de Goa played out a 1-1 draw against Mumbai FC in a round 21 I-League clash at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Goa. Boima Karpeh put the home side ahead in the 19th minute, but Yusif Yakubu cancelled it in the 56th minute earning his team a point from the game.

Oscar Bruzon made six changes to the side that lost 4-0 against Dempo in the last game and brought in Melroy Fernandes, Nallapan Mohanraj, Cajetan Fernandes, Chinta Chandrashekhar, Rowlin Borges and Victorino Fernandes who replaced Ravi Kumar, Rojen Singh, Keenan Almeida, Deepak Devrani, Martins Ekwueme and Ogba Kalu. 

On the other hand, Kamaljeet Kumar, Ashutosh Mehta, Yusif Yakubu and Rahul Bheke made their way into the Mumbai FC starting eleven with Peter Costa, Nicholas Rodrigues, N.P.Pradeep  and Alfred Jaryan been dropped.

Sporting had the first chance of the match after Boima Karpeh was brought down by Rahul Bheke just in front of the box in the 9th minute. Rowlin Borges stepped up to take the free-kick and his curled effort rattled the woodwork before going out, much to the agony of the Sporting fans.

Eight minutes later, referee Pratap Singh pointed to the spot after Kunal Sawant brought down Boima Karpeh down inside the Mumbai area. This was after Victorino Fernandes was fed with a wonderful through ball and he took a shot from the right hand side of which was parried away by the Mumbai FC custodian. Karpeh looked to pounce on the rebound and was fouled. The Liberian striker took the spot-kick and calmly slotted the ball home to make it 1-0.

In the 24th minute, Sporting should have doubled their lead. Beevan D'Mello's corner-kick was punched out by Sawant and the ball fell for Chinta Chadrashekhar. His cross into the box wasn't cleared well by the Mumbai defense and Gonzalo Neil capitalised on the situation and saw his effort come off the woodwork.

Mumbai FC did muster an opportunity towards the end of the first half as Melroy Fernandes produced a spectacular save from a Climax Lawrence shot.

Eleven minutes after the break, it was Yakubu who restored parity for the visitors from three yards out after a melee in the box.

Just after the hour mark, Mohammed Rafi’s left footed strike was brilliantly saved by the Sporting custodian.

Karpeh was guilty of missing an opportunity to put his side ahead once again as he failed to score from ten yards out. The rebound fell kindly for Borges whose shot was blocked eventually.

A minute before the end of the regulation time saw Kalu Nnanna exchange a quick one-two with Karpeh and his resulting shot was just about kept out by Sawant.

In the injury time, Mumbai FC won a free-kick just outside the box and substitute N.P.Pradeep's effort sailed over the target.

The scoreline remained the same until the final whistle as Mumbai FC now have 20 points from 19 matches. Sporting's title hopes took a beating yet again as they are on 29 points from 18 games, still eight points behind league leaders Bengaluru FC who have a game more.

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.