thumbnail Hello,


  • 6 April 2014
  • • 17:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Fatorda Stadium), Margao, Goa

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 Churchill Brothers: Wasteful Red Machines stung by Karpeh's equaliser

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 Churchill Brothers: Wasteful Red Machines stung by Karpeh's equaliser


Subhash Bhowmick's side paid for their profligacy as they only picked a point from the Goan derby...

Churchill Brothers were held 1-1 by Sporting Clube de Goa as the Red Machines failed to make their dominance count in a round 24 I-League clash at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Goa on Sunday evening.

Anthony Wolfe put his side into the lead in the 72nd minute which was soon cancelled out by Boima Karpeh in the 80th minute as the two teams shared the spoils.

Churchill now have 19 points, one more than bottom placed Mohammedan Sporting and also have a game-in hand while Sporting are on the fourth slot with 33 points from their 22 matches.

Oscar Bruzon made one change from the last game as he brought in Chinta Chandrashekhar for Jovel Martins. Anthony Wolfe recovered in time to be fit for the tie as Abdelhamid Shabana and Alesh Sawant too made their way in for Churchill Brothers from their Home United defeat.

It was Churchill who started better of the two sides when Abdelhamid Shabana’s through ball found Jaison Vales who cross from the right saw Balwant Singh’s header go into the hands of Melroy Fernandes in the 5th minute.

The very next move saw Shabana’s chipped pass for Anthony Wolfe saw the latter’s first time shot being tipped away by Fernandes in goal.

Sporting too could have taken the lead when Ogba Kalu missed from ten yards out after Cajetan Fernandes’ corner kick evaded the Churchill defenders and landed at his feet.

Velito Cruz and Kalu exchanged a couple of passes before the former unleashed a venomous shot which had Lalit Thapa dive to make the save.

Just before the half hour mark, Melroy Fernandes’ faintest of touches denied Wolfe from a one-on-one position. In another attacking move, Wolfe laid it for Balwant who misfired from close range as Churchill failed to capitalize on their opportunities.

Balwant only had to get a touch to Shabana’s cross into the box but failed to do so, much to the disappointment of the Churchill fans.

After the re-start, Dharmaraj Ravanan breathed a sigh of relief as Boima Karpeh’s chipped effort but just about parried away by Thapa after the Churchill defender’s back pass was intercepted.

Melroy Fernandes was at it again as he stopped Vales’s attempt in the 53rd minute.

The deadlock was broken in the 72nd minute by Wolfe. Thapa’s long ball was headed goalwards by Satish Singh and Kalu, who was being deployed as a centre-back after Gonzalo Neila’s substitution, missed the ball and Wolfe smashed it to Sporting custodian’s right.

However the lead lasted only for eight minutes as Boima Karpeh pulled one back as he curled it in from eight yards out after the Churchill defense cleared Beevan D’Mello’s cross.

In the injury time, Shabana sent in a through-ball for Wolfe who skipped past the goalkeeper but went far too ahead and hence couldn’t find the angle to shoot. He played it for Lenny Rodrigues who instead of taking a shot, lost possession easily.

The game ended with the same score-line as Churchill were left to rue their missed chances which would have handed them three points.

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.