thumbnail Hello,


  • 22 November 2013
  • • 18:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong, Meghalaya

Shillong Lajong 1-1 Rangdajied United: North east derby ends in a stalemate

Shillong Lajong 1-1 Rangdajied United: North east derby ends in a stalemate


In a hard fought north east derby, the two teams shared the spoils...

Shillong Lajong and Rangdajied United played out a 1-1 draw with the latter seizing the initiative in the first half courtesy a Yohei Iwasaki header while Boithang Haokip's 74th minute strike cancelled it out, leaving both teams with only a point for their effort.

While Santosh Kashyap fielded a strong eleven comprising of Subrata Paul, Gouramangi Moirangthem, Tomba Singh and Manandeep Singh in the first eleven, Thangboi Singto was missing the services of Wailad Passah and Jibon Singh due to bookings.
David Ngaihte was the first to have a shot at goal for Rangdajied in just the eighth minute when he fired a ball across the face of the goalmouth from the left which however was wasted with no one to head it in.
Rangdajied did have the lead against the run of play when defender, Iwasaki headed in perfectly off a Ho Jun Shin corner in the 18th minute.
Five minutes later, Lajong had a chance to equalise when the Reds were awarded a free-kick. Uilliams Bomfin saw his effort beat the wall but was headed clear by the Rangdajied defense.
Lajong however had the best opportunity of the first half when Uilliams made a good run from midfield to feed Cornell Glen just outside the box but an alert Subrata Paul thwarted the chance as he smothered the ball before the Trinidad and Tobago striker had time to react.
Thangboi Singto's side kept up the pressure as the game went into half time.

Around the hour mark, it was Subrata Paul again who denied Taisuke Matsugane from scoring the equaliser.

Manandeep could have however doubled his team's lead when he failed to control a pass that came his way after making a good run to get clear of his markers with only the goalkeeper to beat. 

Rangdajied's Thomas Saikhom allowed Boithang Haokip's precisely weighted cross to sneak into the net in the 74th minute.
The Reds pushed on with Uilliams hitting the bar thereafter as they coninued to search for the winner. However the game ended in a stalemate.

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.