thumbnail Hello,


  • 9 October 2013
  • • 15:30
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong, Meghalaya

Shillong Lajong FC 0-4 East Bengal

Shillong Lajong FC 0-4 East Bengal: Moga bags a brace as the Kolkatans dominate in the north east

Shillong Lajong FC 0-4 East Bengal


East Bengal strolled to victory on their visit to Shillong with James Moga scoring twice in a 0-4 win for the Red and Gold.

East Bengal came away with a 0-4 win over Shillong Lajong in an I-League fourth round fixture at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Meghalaya on Wednesday afternoon.

James Moga bagged a brace as he found the target in the 20th and 63 minute. His efforts sandwiched the strikes of Edeh Chidi and Cavin Lobo in the 45th and 55th minutes respectively.

Marcos Falopa's side settled into the game quickly and were on the front foot from the onset. Lalrindika Ralte stormed down the left flank in the 4th minute and played the ball into Robert Lalthlamuana but the defender's left-footed strike was brilliantly saved by Vinay Singh in the Lajong goal.

The visitors had their hosts pinned inside their own half in the opening period. Chidi Edeh burst into life in the 10th minute as he went past three defenders before unleashing a shot from outside the box. However, his effort was straight down the keeper's throat.

The home side finally ventured forward in the 13th minute as Cornell Glen sent a cross in from the right wing but an unmarked Boithang Haokip failed to meet the delivery in the box and the chance went begging.

After several attacks, East Bengal made the breakthrough in the 20th minute. Ralte's corner kick was headed in by James Moga to give the Kolkatans the lead.

Just after the half-hour mark, a series of good passes from East Bengal eventually ended with one being played into the box which the Lajong keeper missed. Chidi pounced on the loose ball on the right hand side of the penalty area but his shot lack the power to get it over the line before Lallawmzuala could hoof it clear.

In the 45th minute, Chidi breezed past two defenders once again and ended his powerful run by calmly slotting the ball past the keeper to double his side's advantage as the two teams went into the break with The Red and Gold leading 0-2.

East Bengal started brightly in the second half as well and extended their lead ten minutes after the break. Cavin Lobo exchanged passes with Moga before his left-footed shot from outside the box fizzed past Vinay for his side's third goal.

On the hour mark, Subash Singh was brought down on the edge of the East Bengal penlaty box and a free-kick was awarded to the home team but Boithang's effort was less than impressive as he fired his shot over the crossbar.

Three minutes later, the visitors surged forward and added another goal to their tally. Chidi once again danced past two defenders before squaring the ball to an unmarked Moga on his right. The Lajong custodian was helpless as the striker finished off the move emphatically with his right foot.

East Bengal nearly snatched a fifth goal in the 83rd minute. Joachim Abranches attempted to chip the keeper who was off his line but managed to keep the ball out at full stretch. That proved to be the last real chance of the game which ended in a 0-4 victory for the away side.

Follow Brendon Netto on 

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.