The Spanish giants put six unanswered goals past the Dutch outfit in the group stages last year, and have a marginally better head-to-head historical record going into the game
Ramos, Varane, Albiol, Arbeloa
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Van der Wiel, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Anita, De Jong, Eriksen, Janssen
Boerrigter, Sulejmani, Sigthorssson
28/09/11 12:15 AM IST
The home side will be without Fabio Coentrao and Pepe who are both struggling with injury, while Ricardo Carvalho is also a major doubt after missing the win over Rayo Vallecano at the weekend with concussion.
Sami Khedira may return to replace Lassana Diarra in midfield and Mesut Ozil could start in front of Kaka in attack after impressing at the weekend in a substitute appearance. Marcelo is suspended, so Alvaro Arbeloa will likely deputise at left-back.
Miralem Sulejmani and Vurnon Anitsa have recently recovered from injuries and will start against Jose Mourinho's men although the Dutch club will be without Nicolai Boilesen, who has a hamstring injury.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The two sides met in the group stage of the competition last season with Madrid winning both occasions, 2-0 at the Bernabeu and a 4-0 demolition at the Amsterdam Arena.
- In last campaign's meeting in the Netherlands, Madrid saw Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso both controversially sent-off for receiving second yellows in the closing stages of the game, meaning both entered the knockout stages with clean disciplinary records.
- Ajax defeated the Spanish giants in the semi-finals of the European Champion Club's Cup in 1973, winning 2-1 at home before recording an impressive 1-0 victory at the Bernabeu, courtesy of Gerrie Muhren's goal.
- The Dutch side are involved in the Champions League for the 10th time and won the competition back in 1996 against Juventus.
- Last season, Madrid ended a run of six successive last 16 eliminations by beating Lyon and eventually reaching the semi-finals where they were defeated by Barcelona.
- The two sides have met on 10 occasions with Madrid winning five of the matches and losing four with the other game ending in a draw.