thumbnail Hello,


  • 15 March 2014
  • • 17:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong, Meghalaya

Rangdajied United FC 3-1 Mohun Bagan: The north eastern side do the double on Mariners

Rangdajied United FC 3-1 Mohun Bagan: The north eastern side do the double on Mariners

Rangdajied United FC

The Shillong side registered yet another win over the Kolkata outfit as they notched up another home victory that takes them further away from the relegation zone...

Rangdajied United downed Mohun Bagan 3-1 in a round 21 I-League match played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong on Saturday evening. Tomba Singh (20') opened the scoring for the home side, while Kim Yong (35') and Ranti Martins (38') also scored in the first half. Though Odafa Okolie (41') tried to script a come-back for Bagan, the visitors couldn't add to their tally after the break. This was the second occasion when Rangdajied have beaten Bagan after having defeated them 2-0 in an away fixture back in December last year.

Herring Shangpliang made two changes to his side from the last match as Surjay Pariyar replaced T.P. Rehnesh between the sticks and Tomba Singh started in place of the injured Abocha Singh in midfield.

Karim Bencherifa also made a couple of changes to his starting line-up as Sandip Nandy started in place of injured goalkeeper Shilton Paul while Pankaj Moula made his way into the side at the expense of C.S.Sabeeth.

The home team drew first blood in the 20th minute when Eugeneson Lyngdoh went on a run down the left and crossed the ball for Ranti Martins, who was ready to shoot. However, the ball fell to Tomba Singh on the edge of the box and the former Mohun Bagan player unleashed a powerful shot which gave Sandip Nandy little chance and hit the top right corner.

Bagan had their first chance of the game six minutes later, when Odafa Okolie went into a great position to shoot, but Surjay Pariyar came off his line to avert the danger partially. Yohei Iwasaki cleared eventually much to the relief of the assembled crowd.

The away side had another chance in the very next minute as Pankaj Moula had a look at the taget following a free-kick but the shot went straight into Pariyar’s gloves.

Rangdajied scored their second goal in the 35th minute, when Sandip Nandy failed to gather a Steven Dias free-kick neatly and the ball fell to Kim Yong, who pulled off a low shot to put the ball into the net.

Bagan conceded their third only a few minutes later, when Lyngdoh dribbled past a Bagan defender before taking a shot. The ball went to Ranti Martins on the edge of the box after a deflection and the talismanic Nigerian made no mistake to send the ball home.

However, the Mariners reduced the deficit only three minutes later as Odafa Okolie linked up brilliantly with Christopher Chizoba before heading it in from inside the box.

It took 14 minutes for Bagan to conjure up an opportunity after the break when Pritam Kotal went on a good run down the right and crossed into the box which was cleared by Iwasaki after Tomba failed to do the needful.

Rangdajied created inroads again in the 69th minute as Munmun Lugun was fed inside the box, but the
former United Sikkim player faltered with only a defender and the goalkeeper to beat.

In the 77th minute, Odafa invaded the Rangdajied box only to find himself surrounded with opponent bodies, but he managed to take a shot which missed the target only by a few inches.

With their third victory in as many matches, Rangdajied United now have climbed up the standings ladder to sit in the eighth spot with 21 points from their 19 games. Bagan have equal points in their kitty and are placed ninth having played a game more.

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.