thumbnail Hello,


  • 7 December 2013
  • • 17:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Shillong, Meghalaya

Rangdajied United FC 1-2 East Bengal: A late strike gives the Red and Golds a much needed win

Rangdajied United FC 1-2 East Bengal: A late strike gives the Red and Golds a much needed win

Rangdajied United FC

East Bengal secured all three points in Shillong courtesy a late Shylo Malswamtulunga strike against a rejuvenated Rangdajied United side gunning for a win...

By Kaustav Bera with Nabarun Goswami at the stadium

East Bengal bounced back from the disappointing defeat in the last round to secure a 2-1 away win over Rangdajied United in Shillong courtesy of goals in either half from Gurwinder Singh (41') and Shylo Malswamtulunga (84') while the home side had equalised through Kim Yong (45+1').

Armando Colaco elected to field Gurwinder Singh alongside Uga Okpara with Arnab Mondal relegated to the bench. With skipper Mehtab Hossein still missing due to his injury, Cavin Lobo and Harmanjot Singh Khabra started in midfield with Seminlen Doungel and Chidi Edeh upfront.

Santosh Kashyap who was coming off an away win against Mohun Bagan elected to start with Manandeep Singh and Kim Yong upfront while the hero in the last match, Yohei Iwasaki started on the left side of defense. 

The home team started the brighter with Eugeneson Lyngdoh carving open a chance for Kim in just the 9th minute only for an alert Gurpreet Singh Sandhu to beat the striker to the cross from the right.

Both Manandeep Singh and Kim were guilty of missing half chances as wayward final balls let them down with the former missing a sitter on the half-hour mark from a Munmum Lugun cross, where his header from point blank range went wide. 

It was the away side who took the lead four minutes from half time after hardly having a look in at goal. A perfectly delivered free-kick was headed in by Gurwinder Singh as Subrata Paul was well beaten.

However, in injury time of the first half, the home side had their well deserved equaliser when Lyngdoh again put in a brilliant cross from the right and this time Kim made no mistake as he headed the ball into the net.

It was East Bengal who looked to seize the initiative after the half-time break as the midfield began to push on in search of the winner with Cavin Lobo driving his side forward. 

The visitors had two chances on the hour mark. First it was Chidi and Lobo who had combined dangerously outside the box only for Subrata to be alert to thwart the effort. Then it was young Doungel who was thwarted in a one-on-one situation with Subrata Paul. 

With East Bengal looking dangerous, it was Tulunga who put his team ahead with six minutes remaining. Subrata Paul had blocked Chidi's effort from outside the box but Tulunga was first to the ball and slotted it in from close range.

The late goal allowed East Bengal to come away with a creditable win after the defeat against Mumbai FC while Santosh Kashyap's team will have to go back to the drawing board. 

 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.