thumbnail Hello,


  • 13 May 2014
  • • 15:30
  • • Sân vận động Ninh Bình (Ninh Binh Stadium), Ninh Bình
  • Referee: J. Iida
  • • Attendance: 3000

Vissai Ninh Binh 4-2 Churchill Brothers: Red Machines inspiring run comes to an end

Vissai Ninh Binh 4-2 Churchill Brothers: Red Machines inspiring run comes to an end


The Indian outfit went ahead early in the first half but the hosts came back strongly to grab the bragging rights...

Churchill Brothers suffered a 4-2 loss against Vietnamese outfit Vissai Ninh Binh in a round of 16 match of the AFC Cup to crash out of the competition on Tuesday.

Balwant Singh, the in-form Indian striker broke the deadlock for the Goan side in the 21st minute, but goals from Van Thung (23') and Woon Sub (27') handed the hosts the lead within a few minutes. They further increased their lead through Van Quyen in the 68th minute. Abdelhamid Shabana (78') pulled one back for the away side and rekindled a hope of Reds' resurgence, but it was Quyen's second goal of the day (90') which put the match to bed.

Balwant Singh, who had won the 'FPAI Indian Player of the Year' only a couple of weeks ago, opened the scoring for his team as he was fed by Bineesh Balan.

The lead, though didn't last long, as Van Thung pulled off a shot from 20 yards out, that gave Lalit Thapa little chance to thwart the danger.

Woon-sub, the only foreign player in the Vissai squad got on the scoresheet in the 27th minute, when he found the back of the net from a Van Quyen pass.

In the 67th minute, Van Quyen, who is often referred to as the 'Golden Boy' of Vietnam football, scored against the run of play to double the lead for his side, just at a time, when Churchill were on ascendancy.

The Indian club didn't give in and continued to penetrate the opponent's box, and it was in the 78th minute, when the Red Machines earned a penalty-kick. Shabana, the Egyptian midfielder of the side stepped up and converted it calmly to bring them back into the game.

However, the hopes of a dramatic come-back from Churchill were destroyed by Quyen as he curled in a free-kick to complete his brace.