thumbnail Hello,


  • 8 April 2014
  • • 15:00
  • • Paung Laung Stadium, Pyinmana
  • Referee: M. Abdul Wahab
  • • Attendance: 464

Nay Pyi Taw 3-3 Pune FC: Snoei's side crash out of AFC Cup

Nay Pyi Taw 3-3 Pune FC: Snoei's side crash out of AFC Cup


The two teams played out an exciting 3-3 draw, but the Indian side failed to qualify from the group stages as they needed a win...

Nay Pyi Taw and Pune FC played out a 3-3 draw in a group H encounter at the Paung Laung Stadium, Myanmar on Tuesday.

Myo Hlaing Win decided to bench Moe Tin Zaw and Thant Zaw Hien who made way for Nyein Tayzar Win and Michele Di Piedi.

Mike Snoei made wholesale changes to his side following their 2-1 defeat at the hands of Salgaocar FC. Arup Debnath, Gurjinder Kumar, Arata Izumi, Prakash Thorat, Mirjan Pavlovic were drafted into the starting line up at the expense of Amrinder Singh, Srikanth Ramu, Dhanpal Ganeshan, Mustapha Riga, and Thongkhosiem Haokip.

The away team started on the front foot as they had an early spell of pressure. Obadin Aikhena’s tackle on Mirjan Pavlovic in the 8th minute resulted in an injury for the Australian and forced Pune to make an early substitution with Haokip coming on to replace him.

Nay Pyi Taw went on the offensive as Carlos Alberto Delgado curled in a shot from the left which was acrobatically tipped over by Arup Debnath.

Nay Zaw Aung’s cross from the right in the 21st minute saw Delgado head it back to him. But Nay’s final shot was straight at the Pune keeper, much to the disappointment of the assembled fans.

Pune finally had their first clear cut chance in the game in the 24th minute when Gurjinder Kumar advanced down the left and squared the ball to Gabriel Fernandes who was on the edge of the box. The winger cut inside and shot, but it failed to trouble the custodian.

The deadlock was finally broken by the away side in the 36th minute. The home team made a mess of clearing a diagonal ball played into the box. Haokip found himself in a good position as he calmly headed it in to hand his team the lead.

However the lead lasted for just six minutes as Nay Zaw Aung scored the equaliser. Arata Izumi lost the ball in midfield and the home side took advantage as they launched an attack from the right flank. Aung went on a solo run and scored to bring his team back into the game.

The home team had a golden chance to get back into the lead in the 52nd minute when Gabriel Fernandes earned a penalty. Douhou Pierre stepped up to take the spot-kick but failed to convert as his attempt was saved by Vanlal Hruai.

Pune FC did regain their lead soon after as Gurjinder Kumar received the ball on the left and played Arata Izumi through who finished it first time with this left-foot.

Nay Pyi Taw fought back again as they equalized for the second time in the 62nd minute. A diagonal ball played behind Srikanth Ramu fell to Nyein Tayzar Win who slotted it past Debnath easily.

The home side finally managed to surge ahead for the first time in the game through Khaing Htoo in the 72nd minute. The ball fell to the midfielder on the edge of the box who managed to curl it in which gave the goalkeeper no chance whatsoever.

Pune FC pushed front in search of an equalizer and it was Calum Angus who restored parity eight minutes later with a low shot from nearly 30-yards out.

The last few minutes saw end-to-end action between the two sides, but neither was able to score a winner as the two teams shared the spoils.