thumbnail Hello,


  • 23 October 2013
  • • 19:00
  • • Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Pune, Mahārāṣṭra

Mumbai FC 2-3 Shillong Lajong FC: The Reds hold on to claim their second win of the season

Mumbai FC 2-3 Shillong Lajong FC: The Reds hold on to claim their second win of the season

Mumbai FC

Shillong Lajong overcame Mumbai FC away from home courtesy of a brace from Cornell Glen and an early strike by Taisuke Matsugae...

Shillong Lajong FC outplayed Mumbai FC but were made to hold on towards the end as they won 2-3 in Pune on Wednesday evening in a I-League round six encounter.

A Taisuke Matsugae strike (6') and a brace from Cornell Glen (60',79') ensured that the away side secured all three points despite a late scare from the hosts as Ritesh Perambra struck in stoppage-time to add to Sandjar Ahmadi's (16') first half goal.

The away side began brightly and deservedly went ahead early on. Matsugae finished off a lovely move down the right as he swept the ball past Kunal Sawant in goal to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Mumbai struggled to keep up with the pace of the game but soon got themselves back on level terms thanks to Sandjar Ahmadi who ran onto a brilliant pass by Kamaljeet Kumar and finished low to the visiting team's goalkeeper Vinay Singh's right.

Lajong regained control of the game but could not find another goal in the opening period and the teams went into the break level at 1-1.

Cornell Glen was a threat throughout and finally got himself on the score sheet 15 minutes into the second half. He latched onto Boithang Haokip's excellent through ball and finished into the top right corner to give Shillong the advantage.

The former Trinidad and Tobago international came close again twice in the following five minutes. First he was thwarted by MFC defender Ritesh Perambra and then he blazed his shot over when he was clean through on goal.

However, he was able to brush off that miss and grab his second of the game in the 79th minute. Glen burst his way past Mumbai's midfield and defense before finally slotting a left-footed shot inside the keeper's far post.  

Khalid Jamil suffered a further blow as substitute Haroon Amiri was sent off for having a swipe at Minchol Son in the 82nd minute. However, they managed to rally and make it slightly nervy for the away side by getting a goal back in injury time as Ritesh Perambra nodded in a free-kick to make it 2-3.

Thangboi Singto's outfit managed to hold on to their lead though and secure only their second win of the season while Mumbai FC registered back-to-back home defeats.


 How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.