thumbnail Hello,


  • 19 April 2014
  • • 16:30
  • • Tilak Maidan Stadium, Vasco da Gama, Goa
  • Referee: P. Singh

Churchill Brothers 0-2 United Sports Club: Brown brace secures survival

Churchill Brothers 0-2 United Sports Club: Brown brace secures survival

Ajith Namboothiri

United Sports Club picked up all 3 points as they secured a 2-0 victory against fellow relegation rivals Churchill Brothers...

Churchill Brothers crashed to a 2-0 at the hands of United Sports Club in an I-League encounter following a brace by Eric Brown on Saturday evening.

Mariano Dias made just one change to his starting line-up after their 1-0 victory against East Bengal. Denzil Franco made way for Satish Singh.

Anata Ghosh on the other hand opted to make as many as three changes with Sangram Mukherjee, Deepak Mandal and Biswajit Biswas making way for Abhijt Singh,Lalkamal Bhowmick and Sukhen Dey.

Churchill Brothers had their first shot on target in the 11th minute as Saran Singh whipped in a cross for Balwant Singh. The striker's header was a tame one though as Abhijit Das collected the ball with ease.

The home team dominated possession and skipper Lenny Rodrigues fired a shot from 30 yards out in the 15th minute, but it failed to trouble the United custodian.

After a period of sloppy possession from both sides, the Red Machines were at it again in the 28th minute. Waheed Adekunle lost the ball in the middle of the park to Lenny Rodrigues who found Saran Singh on the right flank.

The winger played in Anthony Wolfe whose brilliant first touch saw him get behind the United defense. The striker then put in a dangerous cross, but it failed to find any Churchill player at the end of it. 

Balwant Singh found himself in the thick of the action soon after in the 32nd minute. The striker's brilliant left footed strike was parried away by Abhijit. The ball then fell to Jaison Vales who ambitiously tried a curler but it was well wide of the goal.

The biggest moment of the first half came in the 37th minute when Churchill's midfield lynchpin Abdelhamid Shabana was given his marching orders. The midfielder launched himself into a needless challenge on Eric Brown which resulted in the referee booking Shabana for the second time.

The away team finally managed to make the extra man count as they took the lead in the 49th minute courtesy of an Eric Brown goal. Sukhen Dey's curling cross found the Liberian midfielder at the far end of the goal who made no mistake as he headed his team in front.

In spite of the home team dominating possession, they were unable to find the finishing touch. It was the away side which went on to double their lead in the 71st minute. Eric Brown found himself on the score sheet for the second time in the game following a swift counter attack.

Yumnam Raju failed to clear a long ball as he headed it towards Brown who sprinted away to curl it into the top half of the goal with aplomb to double his team's advantage.

The hosts had a great chance in the 91st minute when a wonderful cross from Saran Singh found their top scorer Balwant but his header went just wide.

The game finally ended 2-0 to the Kolkata side who collected three vital points in their first win in 14 games which sees them secure their survival while Churchill Brothers remain in the relegation scrap.