The Stamford Bridge outfit are yet to be beaten in the Premier League so far but face a different test against German opponents under new management in the shape of Robin Dutt
Bosingwa, Terry, Ivanovic, Cole
Ramires, Lampard, Meireles
Mata, Anelka, Sturridge
Reinartz, Toprak, Kadlec, Castro
Rolfes, Ballack, Bender, Augusto, Sam
Andre Villas-Boas made the controversial decision to drop Fernando Torres for Chelsea’s victory over Sunderland, with Daniel Sturridge and Nicolas Anelka stepping into the side, with the Englishman impressing.
The Portuguese boss could field the same side that won 2-1 at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.
Predicting the Bayer Leverkusen lineup may be somewhat more difficult given that manager Robin Dutt’s reign at the club is still in its infancy but much of his back four and midfield have been ever presents this campaign.
So far this season Dutt has favoured a 4-5-1 system away from home using striker Stefan Kiessling, who has scored two goals in five games, as the focal point of the attack.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- This will be the first time the two sides have met in a competitive fixture.
- Chelsea manager Villas-Boas (pictured right) is looking to emulate his compatriot Jose Mourinho by following a Europa League win at Porto with victory in the Champions League the following year.
- Both sides have never lifted the Champions League, with both enjoying the dubious honour of once being beaten finalists.
- The two teams also finished runners-up in their respective leagues last season.
- The game marks the Champions League managerial debuts of Villas-Boas and opposite number Dutt.
- Bayer Leverkusen’s European exploits ended last year after being knocked out of the Europa League at the round of 16 stage.
- Chelsea exited the Champions League last season at the quarter-final stage, where they were beaten by eventual runners-up Manchester United.
- If picked, the game will mark the first time Michael Ballack faces former side Chelsea after leaving London in 2010.
Download the Goal.com Mobile app, and the world of football will be at your fingertips and in your pocket!