thumbnail Hello,


  • 23 February 2014
  • • 16:00
  • • Bangalore Football Stadium, Bangalore

Bengaluru FC 1-1 Mumbai FC: Leaders held at home

Bengaluru FC 1-1 Mumbai FC: Leaders held at home

Bengaluru FC

Ashley Westwood's side were held by a resilient Mumbai outfit as the league leaders failed to start on a winning note...

Robin Singh cancelled out an Ebi Sukore striker to win a point for Bengaluru FC in a 1-1 draw against Mumbai FC in an I-League encounter at the Bangalore Football Stadium on Sunday.

Bengaluru FC remain on top of the standings with 31 points from 16 games. With this draw, Mumbai FC took their tally to 18 points and stay in the 10th place in the standings. The draw was also Mumbai FC’s fourth in-a-row in the I-League and extended their unbeaten run to seven games.

The home side were without the services of the suspended Sunil Chhetri and Robin Singh was handed a start. Khalid Jamil made three changes to the team that started against United Sports Club as he brought in Climax Lawrence, Ebi Sukore and Sandesh Jhinghan into the line-up.

Bengaluru FC started on a bright note as Robin Singh’s effort came off the crossbar as early as in the second minute. Six minutes later, it was the visitors who came close through Yusif Yakubu whose shot from the edge of the box saw goalkeeper Pawan Kumar gather it.

In the 18th minute, it was Sukore who tested the resolve of Bengaluru defense as Kumar had to dive to keep his effort out.

After the hour mark, Beikhokhei Beingaichho sent in an inch perfect cross which Robin Singh failed to convert. The ball eventually fell for Sean Rooney whose shot was blocked in time.

Bengaluru continued to dominate possession and whipped in several crosses which were dealt with by the Mumbai rearguard. Robin Singh once again came close to opening the scoring as his header went inches wide from a Rooney cross.

Two minutes after the break and Mumbai FC surged ahead with Sukore, inside the rival box, did well to control Mohammed Rafi’s cross on the turn before tucking it into the bottom corner.

Bengaluru looked for a response soon after as Thoi Singh wasted a chance by shooting meekly after Rooney’s long range effort was blocked off.

However the equalizer came in the 55th minute when Robin Singh headed in from a Beingaiccho cross from the right who did well to dribble past a couple of players.

In the 61st minute, Beingaichho took a shot which was well saved by Kunal Sawant. On the rebound, Rooney missed with an open net to aim at.

Rooney turned provider for Robin Singh in the 75th minute but the latter headed straight into the hands of Sawant, much to the disappointment of the assembled fans.

The scoreline remained the same until the final whistle as Kunal Sawant made a couple of regulation saves towards the end.

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.