thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 18 October 2014
  • • 19:30
  • • Emirates Stadium, London
  • Referee: R. East
  • • Attendance: 60004

Arsenal 2-2 Hull City: Welbeck saves Gunners with stoppage time strike

Arsenal 2-2 Hull City: Welbeck saves Gunners with stoppage time strike


Steve Bruce's side were moments away from a shock victory at the Emirates, but the England international maintained his good form with a late goal for Arsene Wenger's side

Arsenal narrowly avoided an embarrassing home defeat to Hull City after Danny Welbeck struck to secure a 2-2 draw for the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium.

The hosts went ahead through Alexis Sanchez's well-taken finish early on but Hull equalised through a controversial Mohamed Diame goal.

By Jay Jaffa

Arsene Wenger will feel indebted to Alexis Sanchez this evening after Arsenal rescued a point against Hull City. The Chilean rifled the Gunners ahead and although they were pegged back twice through Mohamed Diame and Abel Hernandez, it was the summer signing’s turn of pace and fleet of foot that created the space for Danny Welbeck to prod home a late equaliser.

The home supporters directed a lot of their anger at Roger East but for my money he got the majority of his decisions spot on. Yet this seems to be the blame culture of a club who are papering over a number of cracks. To be 11 points off the league leaders after eight games is embarrassing given the wave of positivity that followed Alexis’ arrival. Where they’d be without him doesn’t bear thinking about.
Abel Hernandez put Steve Bruce's side in front at the start of the second half, but with time running out Welbeck combined with Alexis to beat second half substitute Eldin Jakupovic in the Hull goal.

Hull goalkeeper Steve Harper was required to make a smart double-save from Welbeck and then Jack Wilshere as well as tip Santi Cazorla's free-kick over as the hosts - who handed a league debut to Hector Bellerin - began strongly.

But Harper could do nothing about Alexis' opener, as the Chilean bamboozled Curtis Davies in the right channel with a skilful stepover before cutting inside and firing across Harper.

Arsenal's lead last just five minutes however, when Diame trundled into the area and dinked home his fourth Premier League goal in five games for Hull, as the hosts fumed at the lack of a free-kick from referee Roger East for a perceived tug on Mathieu Flamini.

Harper, continuing in goal due to the injury-enforced absence of Allan McGregor, was himself forced off just before the interval with a shoulder problem and replaced by Jakupovic.

But Bruce's men made an ideal start to the second half when Hernandez stole in ahead of Per Mertesacker to head Tom Huddlestone's delivery from the right and put Hull ahead.

Behind for the first time, Arsenal swiftly sought an equaliser with Michael Dawson denying Welbeck a one-on-one chance before wayward passing in the final third from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Cazorla frustrated the home support.

Wilshere's withdrawal after tweaking his knee in a challenge with Gaston Ramirez looked to have capped a miserable day for the hosts as Hull's defence were standing firm with a string of brave blocks.

But Alexis proved the inspiration, slaloming through the midfield before feeding Welbeck in the area to slam home and rescue a draw.

The Gunners pushed for a winner late on and Aaron Ramsey made his return from injury, but the hosts were forced to settle for a point.