Porto - Malaga Preview: Andalusians keen to maintain unbeaten Champions League record
Manuel Pellegrini's team are yet to taste defeat on the road in the competition, however their only previous loss in Europe came across the border to Portuguese opposition
By Tom Webber
Danilo, Otamendi, Mangala, Alex Sandro
Lucho, Fernando, Moutinho
Atsu, Martinez, Rodriguez
Sanchez, Weligton, Demichelis, Antunes
Joaquin, Isco, Portillo
Malaga will be hopeful of coming away from the Dragao with their unbeaten Champions League record still intact as they face Porto in the last 16.
Manuel Pellegrini will be unable to select either of his first choice full-backs for the visit to their Iberian neighbours; where they suffered their only ever European defeat. Eliseu and Jesus Gamez are both out of contention while Martin Demichelis could return after missing out on the weekend win over Athletic Bilbao.
Meanwhile, Porto, who have will have had an extra few days rest come match day, welcome back James Rodriguez to the starting line-up. Vitor Pereira will stick with the same back four that he has used in every league game as the Dragoes look to improve upon a lacklustre record against Spanish opposition which includes seven losses in front of their own fans in 17 games.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Porto, who last lifted the trophy in 2004, are in the knockout stages for the 10th time.
- The Dragoes were victorious the last time they welcomed Spanish opposition to Portugal. Villarreal were handed a 5-1 thrashing as Andre Villas-Boas led the club to the 2010-11 Europa League title.
- Porto's overall record against Spanish opposition leaves a lot to be desired, winning 12 and drawing five in 37 meetings.
- Malaga remain unbeaten in what is their debut season in the Europa Champions League.
- The Andalusians' only defeat in 12 European away games came against former Portuguese giants Boavista in the 2002-03 Uefa Cup.
- Martin Demichelis (pictured right) could come up against former River Plate team-mate Lucho Gonzalez.
Top 3 Predictions
Porto 2-1 Malaga
- 17.32 %
Porto 1-2 Malaga
- 13.99 %
Porto 2-0 Malaga
- 12.33 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||14-Mar-2013||Malaga 2 - Porto 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||20-Feb-2013||Porto 1 - Malaga 0|
|12-Dec-2013||Atletico de Madrid 2 - Porto 0||UCL|
|08-Dec-2013||Porto 2 - Braga 0||POR1|
|01-Dec-2013||Academica 1 - Porto 0||POR1|
|27-Nov-2013||Porto 1 - Austria Wien 1||UCL|
|24-Nov-2013||Porto 1 - CD Nacional 1||POR1|
|-||Marat Nailevich Izmailov||Striker|
|4||Maicon Pereira Roque||Defender|
|-||Christian Twasam Atsu||Striker|
|9||Roque Santa Cruz||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed