thumbnail Hello,


  • 28 March 2013
  • • 16:00
  • • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Fatorda Stadium), Margao, Goa

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 ONGC: Oscar’s side continue their unbeaten streak

Sporting Clube de Goa 1-1 ONGC: Oscar’s side continue their unbeaten streak

Anselm Noronha/

Santosh Kashyap’s team did well to come back and take a point from the tie in Goa as their rivals are now unbeaten in seven games...

Sporting Clube de Goa and ONGC FC played out a 1-1 draw at the Duler Stadium, Goa, in an I-League match. Dawson Fernandes had handed the home side the lead but following Samananda Singh receiving his marching orders, the away side did well to restore parity through Hassan Odeola.

Oscar Bruzon Barreras handed a start to Rovan Pereira in the defense, in place of the injured Joyner Lourenco, while Seiya Sugishita was once again benched with Dawson Fernandes operating as the lone striker.

Santosh Kashyap made one change from the last game as he opted to start with David Lalrinuamana in place of Sandeep Sangha.

In the second minute, Freiman Peixoto’s flag-kick saw Juanfri beaten to the flight of the ball which eventually came off Ogba Kalu, but luckily for ONGC, the ball fell straight into the lap of goalkeeper Rehenesh T.P.

Two minutes later, Dawson was released by Kalu, but Rehenesh ensured that the danger was averted. The ONGC custodian then rescued his side in the sixth minute by blocking Juanfri’s effort from close range off a corner taken by Freiman.

Using the early momentum from the game and holding possession for most of the first half, Dawson put the home side into the lead when he nodded home a cross sent in by Juanfri.

In their only piece of attack until the 24th minute, ONGC’s Eric Brown found Katsumi Yusa on the left, but the Japanese was only able to find the side-netting.

In the 31st minute, Brown got past Angel Berlanga but wasn’t able to beat Sporting keeper Bruno Colaco. From the same move, ONGC’s Jatin Bisht fired a shot from around the edge of the box which came off the woodwork.

The half-time talk of Kashyap seemed to have had its effect as the visitors looked a reformed side but were not able to create any notable goal scoring opportunities except for Sali providing with a sturdy defensive performance to keep Dawson in check.

The Flaming Oranje were the reduced to 10-men after Samananda Singh got into the books of the referee for a second bookable offense in the 69th minute.

Hassan Odeola then equalized for the away side when the defender headed in a Parwinder Singh corner in the 77th minute.

ONGC substitute Kailash Patil found the back on the net in the 86th minute, but the goal didn’t stand after he was flagged off-side.

Rehenesh did well on two occasions as he denied Sporting substitute Victorino Fernandes in the six minutes of injury time as the two sides held on for a point.

Follow Anselm Noronha on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.