Borussia Dortmund - Manchester City Preview: Premier League champions travel to Germany hoping for Europa League consolation
The Bundesliga side have already topped the group and qualified for the next round, while Roberto Mancini's team must win and hope that Real Madrid beat Ajax at home
By Husmukh Kerai
Piszczek, Hummels, Santana, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Maicon, Nastasic, Kompany, Zabaleta
Sinclair, Tevez, Nasri
Jurgen Klopp has an almost fully fit squad from which to select, with fringe players Chris Lowe and Patrick Owomoyela the only players sidelined with injury, but could rest some players with top spot already guaranteed.
Roberto Mancini will be without any recognised left-backs with Gael Clichy (ankle) and Aleksander Kolarov (groin) both likely to miss the trip to Dortmund. Maicon could fill in at right-back, with Pablo Zabaleta switching to the left - or Gareth Barry could switch to his former position.
James Milner (hamstring) is out after picking up an injury at Wigan last week, while Jack Rodwell (hamstring) and Micah Richards (knee) are still a while away from a first-team return. Mancini confirmed on Monday that Yaya Toure will not be involved, so Javi Garcia is likely to deputise.
The Italian boss will have one eye on Sunday's Manchester derby, so he could rest a few key players with one eye on the Premier League.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund attacker Marco Reus (pictured) has scored the first goal of the game in three of his last four Champions League appearances.
- Dortmund have made more defensive clearances than any other team in the Champions League (248).
- The German outfit have conceded six goals from the 85th minute of games onward in their last seven Champions League matches, plus they have netted two in this period themselves. Bet365 offer 1/1 for the second half of this game to have more goals than the first.
Manchester City have won one and lost four of their previous European trips to Germany.
Dortmund have never been beaten by English opposition at home.
- Manchester City must beat Dortmund and hope that Ajax do not beat Real Madrid if they are to qualify to play in the Europa League after Christmas.
- Both teams are unbeaten in their past five games in all competitions.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Manchester City
- 15.25 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Manchester City
- 13.65 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Manchester City
- 11.74 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||05-Dec-2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Manchester City 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||04-Oct-2012||Manchester City 1 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||04-Aug-2010||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Manchester City 1|
|14-Dec-2013||TSG Hoffenheim 2 - Borussia Dortmund 2||BUN|
|12-Dec-2013||Olympique de Marseille 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2||UCL|
|07-Dec-2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayer Leverkusen 1||BUN|
|04-Dec-2013||1. FC Saarbruecken 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2||GERC|
|30-Nov-2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|28||Mohammad Mustafa Amini||Midfielder|