AC Milan-Roma Preview: Rossoneri can clinch Champions League spot
Massimiliano Allegri's men know three points is enough to secure third place, but they will more than up against it against a Giallorossi who are also chasing European football
By Craig Turnbull
Back in November, not many people would have had AC Milan down as Champions League contenders with the Rossoneri languishing in mid-table, but their remarkable turnaround can be completed if they beat Roma on Sunday.
A win against the Giallorossi will ensure third place and a chance to qualify for Europe's premier competition as they enter the play-off round before the group stages next season.
Milan's Daniele Bonera, Luca Antonini and Riccardo Montolivo are all doubts for Sunday's clash and will be assessed beforehand.
Nigel de Jong and Bojan are unavailable, but there are no suspension concerns for coach Massimiliano Allegri. Mario Balotelli is expected to recover from a fever to take his place in the line-up but Giampaolo Pazzini could step up if necessary.
Roma, meanwhile, have one absentee in goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg which means Bogdan Lobont will get the nod, but there are no suspensions for Aurelio Andreazzoli to contend with as they continue their chase for a Europa League spot.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- On November 11, after a 3-1 loss to Fiorentina, AC Milan sat 13th in Serie A but since then 16 wins from a possible 24 have seen the Rossoneri storm to third.
- Stephan El Shaarawy is the club's top scorer on 16 goals but has found the back of net just twice in his last 18 appearances.
- The Rossoneri have only lost one of their last four encounters against Roma, but it was a 4-2 defeat at the Stadio Olimpico this season.
- Roma sit in sixth place, two points off the Europa League places with two games to go. They do have the opportunity of European football elsewhere as they're in the Coppa Italia final with Lazio.
- AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri has been heavily linked with a move to the capital club, but the 45-year-old has denied such rumours.
- Pablo Osvaldo (pictured, right) is the club's top scorer this season with 16 goals.
Top 3 Predictions
Milan 2-0 AS Roma
- 20.13 %
Milan 2-1 AS Roma
- 14.83 %
Milan 3-1 AS Roma
- 11.32 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||17-Dec-2013||Milan 2 - AS Roma 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||13-May-2013||Milan 0 - AS Roma 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||23-Dec-2012||AS Roma 4 - Milan 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||24-Mar-2012||Milan 2 - AS Roma 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||29-Oct-2011||AS Roma 2 - Milan 3|
|03-Mar-2014||Milan 0 - Juventus 2||SR-A|
|23-Feb-2014||Sampdoria 0 - Milan 2||SR-A|
|20-Feb-2014||Milan 0 - Atletico de Madrid 1||UCL|
|15-Feb-2014||Milan 1 - Bologna 0||SR-A|
|09-Feb-2014||Napoli 3 - Milan 1||SR-A|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
|17||Pablo Daniel Osvaldo||Striker|
|3||Iván Rodrigo Piris||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed