Borussia Dortmund-SC Freiburg Preview: Jurgen Klopp’s side look to secure second spot in Bundesliga
Still stinging from the derby loss to Schalke, die Schwarzgelben will hope to heap even more misery on struggling Freiburg
By Jerrad Peters
Piszczek, Subotic, Santana, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Mujdza, Ginter, Fallou, Sorg
Schmid, Schuster, Flum, Galigiuri
They may be through to the quarter-final stage of the Champions League, but Borussia Dortmund have effectively been dethroned as German champions and are now in a two-way battle for second place with Bayer Leverkusen, who host leaders Bayern Munich in one of Saturday’s late kick-offs.
Although Dortmund have not lost to Freiburg since 2010, their chances of a sixth straight victory over the Bundesliga’s eighth-place side will be hampered by the absence of defender Mats Hummels, who was withdrawn at the break during last weekend’s derby loss to Schalke with an ankle injury. He will be replaced by the Brazilian Felipe Santana, who has started just 13 matches in all competitions this season.
Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp is also likely to be without captain - and former Freiburg player - Sebastian Kehl, as the central midfielder battles niggling injuries.
Freiburg, who are winless in their past three Bundesliga matches but through to the semi-finals of the DFB Pokal, will be without central midfielder Cedric Makiadi due to a knee injury as well as striker Sebastian Freis, who continues to recover following shoulder surgery.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund won the Bundesliga by eight points last season and seven points in 2011-12. They are currently 20 points adrift of current leaders Bayern Munich.
- Dortmund captain Sebastian Kehl played parts of two seasons for Freiburg more than 10 years ago, contributing eight goals.
- Dortmund have won just two of their last five Bundesliga matches and have kept only one clean sheet in their last six outings.
- Freiburg are on course for their best finish in the Bundesliga since 2000-01, when they came fourth. They have since been relegated twice and earned their most recent promotion in 2008-09.
- Hamburg are the only top-10 side to have managed fewer than Freiburg’s 32 goals from 25 matches so far this season.
- Freiburg’s Under-19 side has won four of the last seven titles in that age category, including the previous two.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 1-1 SC Freiburg
- 34.5 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 SC Freiburg
- 13.04 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 SC Freiburg
- 8.62 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||09-Mar-2014||SC Freiburg 0 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||28-Sep-2013||Borussia Dortmund 5 - SC Freiburg 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||16-Mar-2013||Borussia Dortmund 5 - SC Freiburg 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||27-Oct-2012||SC Freiburg 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||05-May-2012||Borussia Dortmund 4 - SC Freiburg 0|
|19-Apr-2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Mainz 2||BUN|
|16-Apr-2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 0||GERC|
|12-Apr-2014||Bayern 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|09-Apr-2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid 0||UCL|
|05-Apr-2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
|6||Vegar Eggen Hedenstad||Defender|