Fortuna Dusseldorf - Bayern Munich Preview: Bavarians looking to break another Bundesliga record with a win
Victory would see Jupp Heynckes' men record the best start to a campaign of any club in the modern domestic league's 50-year history by opening with eight consecutive triumphs
By Tom Webber
Levels, Juanan, Langeneke, Van den Bergh
Kruse, Ilso, Bellinghausen
Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Badstuber
Luiz Gustavo, Schweinsteiger
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Bayern Munich will look to maintain their perfect record in the league so far this season, breaking yet another Bundesliga record in the process, when they travel to the Esprit Arena to face Fortuna Dusseldorf.
Jupp Heynckes is expected to play the same back line that he has done in every Bundesliga fixture so far this season but David Alaba could be in line for a return to the starting line-up.
Javi Martinez is replaced by Luiz Gustavo in midfield while, with Arjen Robben still absent through injury, Thomas Muller will continue to operate on the right. This enables Toni Kroos to play in his preferred role in behind the striker, a position which Mario Mandzukic holds onto as Mario Gomez continues his return to fitness.
The hosts, who lost their first game this term when they were defeated by Mainz in the last round of fixtures, have a few fitness worries ahead of their clash with the league leaders. Stelios Malezas is out with a thigh injury and so Jens Langeneke will be partnered by Juanan in the centre of defence.
Elsewhere, captain Andreas Lambertz and Robbie Kruse face late fitness tests, meaning that Andriy Voronin and Cha Du-Ri could find themselves among the starting line-up.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- When Fortuna Dusseldorf welcomed the Bavarian giants on December 9 1978, the hosts made history with a stunning 7-1 win over a team including the likes of Sepp Maier and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
- However, in the 44 times that these two sides have met, F95 have only managed to secure another nine victories. (W10 D9 L25)
- The last time that Dusseldorf managed to best die Roten in front of their own fans was in a 4-0 win back in the 1985-86 season.
- Bayern Munich could set a new record for the best start to a Bundesliga campaign should they win their eighth consecutive match on Saturday.
- Mario Mandzukic (pictured, right) has netted eight goals in 10 appearances in all competitions for the Bavarians this season. It took him 27 games to reach the same tally in his debut season at Wolfsburg.
- To this day, the 7-1 defeat inflicted by this weekend's opposition remains the heaviest away defeat suffered by Bayern in Bundesliga history.
Top 3 Predictions
Fortuna Düsseldorf 0-3 Bayern
- 25.37 %
Fortuna Düsseldorf 0-2 Bayern
- 12.22 %
Fortuna Düsseldorf 0-4 Bayern
- 11.42 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||09-Mar-2013||Bayern 3 - Fortuna Düsseldorf 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||20-Oct-2012||Fortuna Düsseldorf 0 - Bayern 5|
|28-Feb-2014||Fortuna Düsseldorf 2 - Arminia Bielefeld 0||2.BL|
|23-Feb-2014||VfL Bochum 0 - Fortuna Düsseldorf 0||2.BL|
|14-Feb-2014||Fortuna Düsseldorf 1 - Union Berlin 1||2.BL|
|11-Feb-2014||TSV 1860 München 1 - Fortuna Düsseldorf 1||2.BL|
|22-Dec-2013||Fortuna Düsseldorf 2 - FC Köln 3||2.BL|
|23||Johannes van den Bergh||Defender|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed