Hamburg - Borussia Dortmund Preview: Van der Vaart could be key to ending Klopp's long unbeaten run
The midfielder could be pivotal in transforming the fortunes of Thorsten Fink's ailing side, but will have his work cut out against an in-form BVB team high in confidence
By Craig Turnbull
Diekmeier, Bruma, Westermann, Jansen
Sala, van der Vaart, Ilicevic
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Gotze, Reus
Rafael van der Vaart will make his first appearance at the Imtech Arena since rejoining Hamburg from Tottenham in the summer. Coach Thorsten Fink will be hoping he can produce some Dutch magic to kick-start their season as they have yet to register any points in the Bundesliga after three games - a statistic that could see a host of changes.
On the other hand, visitors Borussia Dortmund have made a great start to their campaign after taking seven points from a possible nine and were impressive in their 3-0 victory over Bayer Leverkusen last week. A midweek win over Ajax in the Champions League will have done no harm to the confidence of Jurgen Klopp's side, who are 31 games unbeaten in the Bundesliga.
Petr Jiracek is suspended for the hosts after seeing red in last week's defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt, with Tolgay Arslan set to come in. Defender Dennis Aogo may also miss out with flu and Paul Scharner has a knee ligament problem. Their opponents have no real injury concerns apart from Patrick Owomoyela.
|DID YOU KNOW|
- Dortmund are currently 31 games unbeaten and are chasing down the record of 36 matches without loss, set by their opponents Hamburg back in January 1983.
- Next Saturday, Hamburg will celebrate their 125th anniversary and are the only team that have competed every season in the Bundesliga since it started back in 1963.
- Rafael van der Vaart (right) has played against Dortmund four times and been on the winning side in three of those games, scoring twice.
- BVB are undefeated in their last seven games against Hamburg.
- Hamburg have made their worst start to the league season in 40 years.
- The last time these two sides met was back in January, with Dortmund running out 5-1 winners.
Top 3 Predictions
Hamburger SV 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 16.55 %
Hamburger SV 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.89 %
Hamburger SV 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 13.95 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||14-Sep-2013||Borussia Dortmund 6 - Hamburger SV 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||21-Jul-2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Hamburger SV 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||09-Feb-2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Hamburger SV 4|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||22-Sep-2012||Hamburger SV 3 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||04-Aug-2012||Hamburger SV 0 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|07-Dec-2013||Hamburger SV 0 - FC Augsburg 1||BUN|
|03-Dec-2013||Hamburger SV 2 - FC Köln 1||GERC|
|30-Nov-2013||VfL Wolfsburg 1 - Hamburger SV 1||BUN|
|24-Nov-2013||Hamburger SV 3 - Hannover 96 1||BUN|
|09-Nov-2013||Bayer Leverkusen 5 - Hamburger SV 3||BUN|
|18||Tolgay Ali Arslan||Midfielder|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
|13||Per Ciljan Skjelbred||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed